Sharks tooth/fossil hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting posts guys.

It made me wonder how old those teeth could be.

Also, I wondered why so many shark teeth are found at Calvert Cliffs.

Finally, I wondered why only their teeth are found, not their fossilized skeletons.

This link answered those questions: Miocene Sharks Teeth of Calvert County (md.gov)

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome finds! Have you considered making prints? J/k!
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Nice collection of teeth. The Calvert Cliffs formation is well known for good fossils.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dude, that tooth is a beauty!! You had a really solid day for a public beach like Calvert Cliffs.
          - Cliff

Hobie Compass
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Thanks! This weekend I'll be taking nhunter344's suggestion and kayaking to some of the less accessible areas of the cliffs.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Well... time to hang em up, I have peaked. The other day I found TWO megalodon teeth in the same trip; just my third shark tooth hunting trip. It's been 2 days since the trip and I'm still in disbelief.

The first one was the largest at 2.25" and a complete tooth - just a few chips from what is likely feeding damage during the shark's lifetime. I spotted it sitting in 1 foot of water and I could not believe my eyes.

20221026_084919.jpg

20221026_084957.jpg

The second tooth was a little smaller and not as complete. I did not realize was a meg at first until I noticed the serrations. This is a "posterior" tooth, one from the back of the jaw near the corner of the mouth - so it does not have the big broad shape that anterior and lateral teeth have. Still, it's a meg nonetheless.

20221026_122002.jpg

Here are all my finds from the day. Not pictured are a few bone fragments from dolphins/whales:

20221027_102441.jpg

Obviously I'm joking about quitting while I'm ahead... I have another trip planned for this weekend. I am really enjoying this new hobby, and winter seems like the perfect time to get into it - less traffic on the beaches!
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

It's interesting to note that where you're walking to find these fossils used to be the bottom of the sea.

You're very good at this hobby.

Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Dave -

2022 is your year to shine. You have had many fishing accomplishments this year and now have moved into the shark's tooth arena. Excellent job on finding those big teeth.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X