Truxtun Park closed to kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truxtun Park closed to kayaking

I don't launch often from Truxtun Park in Annapolis (upper end of Spa Creek), but every now and then I get an urge to fish in those waters. This morning I drove there and planned to launch from the small beach next to the boat ramp (to avoid the $10 ramp fee). I was surprised to see large signs in several spots indicating that kayaking and paddle boarding was prohibited. The impetus for this blockage is an electrical problem that leaked current into the waters near the boat ramp.

While I understand the public health reason for keeping people away from water contact sports if there is electrical current, I am quite frustrated since this problem was first noted in August 2021. The City has been unable or unwilling to find and fix the problem. In any case, don't waste your time driving to Truxtun Park in hopes of launching your kayak.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Wow. Thanks John.

While I don’t launch from Truxton Park, I do launch across from the park at Amos Garrett. After reading your post I decided to run by Amos to see if there are signs up there. I didn’t see any from the street. Seems everything is a okay on that side.

I try to perch fish at least once a year in spa creek on the kayak but do to low perch numbers for me off the Amos Garrett pier and now a potential hazard I think I’ll skip this summer/fall.

Comment

Wonder what the problem is at Truxton Park. This problem came to light last summer. You would think the problem could be corrected by now. Have not seen anything in the local paper regarding this problem.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Bummer. I rarely use that launch but I'm sure for lots of people it is their go-to.

I found this article from the Capital Gazette from May of this year... Seems like BGE, utility workers from the city of Annapolis, and private contractors have been involved to try to solve the issue, and they mostly solved it, but somehow electric current is still leaking into the water and they're not sure from where

https://www.capitalgazette.com/maryl...dnq-story.html
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
        X