Gyotaku

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyotaku

I've been trying gyotaku. This is my latest attempt, bluefish from last last week.
    Attached Files
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Wow, it's such a coincidence to see this post right now... I also started experimenting with gyotaku last week haha.

Gyotaku is so much harder than the videos make it look! So far I have done a rockfish and a white perch, probably about a dozen and a half prints of each, and I don't have a single print I'm completely happy with. I still have the perch in the freezer and will continue to practice with it.

My goal is to get good enough at it to make prints of some of my favorite fish that I'd actually want to hang on my wall. I think it would be so cool to have detailed prints of rockfish and snakehead specifically.

Thanks for starting this topic and sharing! Nice bluefish. Hopefully others can chime in if they've tried this too. I can share a couple pictures tomorrow
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Saw that once before! Great job. Are you using squid ink?

Comment

Yeah, much harder than the videos make it seem. Not my best work and not happy with my stuff either. I'm using some sumi ink I got off the internet, . I have it at home. This my uncle's work and what inspired my gyotaku journey.IMG_20221003_170013_321.jpg
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Nice bluegill. I like the traditional red stamp (I forget the actual name for it), it really adds to the overall piece I think. I don't know what I would put on it if I were to make my own
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Here are my 2 best prints so far. I like the scale detail on the perch, not sure what I did to accomplish that but I haven't been able to replicate it. I'd really like to improve on capturing a complete outline of the fish and getting a more controlled application of the ink. So far I have found that diluting the ink really helps... my first few prints were basically blotchy black blobs because the ink was so thick!

20221005_172709.jpg

20221005_172611.jpg
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
              Yeah, much harder than the videos make it seem. Not my best work and not happy with my stuff either. I'm using some sumi ink I got off the internet, . I have it at home. This my uncle's work and what inspired my gyotaku journey.IMG_20221003_170013_321.jpg
              It looks pretty good! It’s a challenging art form to master. I started trying it around 2018-2019 F452B359-6A92-4564-A375-AF23B03495AD.jpg after seeing some amazing finished pieces by Rob Choi from the TKAA tournament prizes. The preparation takes a long time with drying the fish off, positioning the fins with foam, applying the ink evenly, etc.. the finishing details are where I struggle with mine (if I get a good print ).

J

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                Here are my 2 best prints so far. I like the scale detail on the perch, not sure what I did to accomplish that but I haven't been able to replicate it. I'd really like to improve on capturing a complete outline of the fish and getting a more controlled application of the ink. So far I have found that diluting the ink really helps... my first few prints were basically blotchy black blobs because the ink was so thick!

20221005_172709.jpg

20221005_172611.jpg
                That perch is amazing!
                Tight lines
                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Thanks. I wish I knew what I did to get such good detail on the scales... I have not been able to replicate that on any of my other prints.

One thing I want to work on is varying the amount of ink I apply to get a bit of shading out of the print... darker backs and lighter bellies.
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Very cool! My inner tinkerer wants to try this, then my rational self tells me I really need another hobby like I need another hole in my head.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                      Very cool! My inner tinkerer wants to try this, then my rational self tells me I really need another hobby like I need another hole in my head.
                      Lol, I hear that. Fortunately it's a very small investment... a few bucks for a bottle of ink and a few bucks for a roll of rice paper and you're set.
                      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Those look awesome, I have wanted to try this for years. I recall watching a video where they used foam blocks and pins to help keep the fins oriented nicely.
                        Last edited by PigPen; 10-09-2022, 08:44 PM.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Nice prints. I started early in the year. My season has been horrible so my only priority nat are from trout stocking in March. It is fun to do.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X