Seeking advice & options with confrontational shore folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice & options with confrontational shore folks

This involves an area that I fish in the lower Potomac and involves me, but to a greater deal my BIL's father currently. I was speaking with my BIL and he asked me if I had any incidents of anything being thrown at me from a property we all fish in front of. Apparently, a person affiliated with the property-unsure if a resident or the property owner-had on a previous occasion been flinging osage orange balls at my BIL’s father while he was in his boat in front of the property. On other occasions, this same individual has come down the bank with a fishing rod and crossed lines with my BIL’s father. Understandably, he was upset by these actions and words were exchanged. He was pretty much told: “It’s a big river, you don’t need to fish here.” I believe he was in his skiff the two times this occurred and not his larger CC, not that this matters. What does concern me is that he fishes this area with my nieces, the older of which just caught her first fish on her own last week! I also frequently fish this area. This past week I was fishing at sunset and some osage orange balls lobbed my way as well, as I was reeling in a fish, but at the time thought it was someone doing yard work. We did not exchange words. I was trolling, so moved on after releasing the fish. Generally while I am fishing this area, I just troll through and only stop when I have a fish on. My BIL’s father trolls and drifts this area, I do not think he anchors here. What are your thoughts on this matter? My BIL wants to contact DNR. Pictured is the fish I released earlier this week. 20221010_171832.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Personally, I would record it and report it to DNR. No one owns the water, and you have every right to fish there.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

No only is that guy an ass, he's in violation of Maryland law. You and/or your BIL should absolutely contact Natural Resources Police over the matter and do not engage the guy personally - that is NRP's job.

https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsi...nactments=true

(a) While on private or public land, or Maryland waters, a person may not for the purpose of disrupting a lawful fishing activity:

(1) Interfere intentionally with the lawful taking of fish or other marine life by another person;

(2) Intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any fish for the purpose of disrupting a lawful fishing activity;

(3) Intentionally block, impede, harass, or disturb a person engaged in a lawful fishing activity;
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

When you fish there:

First, aim a camera on this guy or in that direction to catch him throwing the stuff. Without this, it’s his word against yours. Also, it helps identify the asshole.

Second, fill your reels with heavy lines on heavy rods. When he crosses your lines, you will be able to strip his reel and maybe even get his rod.

Third, make a potato gun so you can shoot back at him if you want to go that far.

Fourth, make sure you get statements from anyone else that experienced this idiots antics and make sure that you tell the DNR or Police that you want to prefer charges and follow up.

He won’t learn a lesson unless he’s made to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          When you fish there:

First, aim a camera on this guy or in that direction to catch him throwing the stuff. Without this, it’s his word against yours. Also, it helps identify the asshole.

Second, fill your reels with heavy lines on heavy rods. When he crosses your lines, you will be able to strip his reel and maybe even get his rod.

Third, make a potato gun so you can shoot back at him if you want to go that far.

Fourth, make sure you get statements from anyone else that experienced this idiots antics and make sure that you tell the DNR or Police that you want to prefer charges and follow up.

He won’t learn a lesson unless he’s made to pay.
          I agree with some of Memory Maker's suggestions -- taking photos or videos and get feedback from others who have experienced similar issues.

I disagree with suggestions 2 and 3 as escalating an already bad situation. Any form of retaliation can lead to stronger responses from the shoreline guy, including using weapons. It is certainly not worth injury or worse just to "punish" a miscreant. My mother taught me when I was young "two wrongs don't make a right". It might feel good at the time, but fighting back rarely has positive outcomes. Report the guy and provide evidence to the authorities. Otherwise, leave the area and find another spot to fish.

John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Two wrongs don’t make a right is true. Can’t fight fire with fire. Record him if you can and report it. Or find another place to fish. Whomever it is don’t own the water. Hopefully they don’t act that way with someone who has the same attitude as them.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and support guys. I don't really plan on confronting him. I'm really letting my BIL's father take the lead on this one. I'll try and keep everyone updated
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

You might want to post his place as a hotspot on every internet page you can find and report him. He will have to give up after awhile.

Comment

I thought about it .
                  Last edited by ski357; 10-16-2022, 07:13 PM.
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                    You might want to post his place as a hotspot on every internet page you can find and report him. He will have to give up after awhile.
                    Reminds me of this fun event from 2019: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...228227534.html

I don't fish that close to docks a whole lot - mostly because I find it annoying to constantly maintain position - but sometimes I do fish docks because that's just where the fish are. Luckily I have never had anybody get nasty with me, but I did have one property owner walk down his dock to condescendingly tell me it was "okay" if I fished there... um, okay guy... don't need your permission but thanks.
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

We're not fishing his dock. We're actually in an area in front of his property. It's all messed up
                      Tight lines
                      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

In all my years of kayak fishing I've run into a disagreeable property owner only one time. He remarked that he was tired of people leaving lures on his dock and warned me to not do the same. I can understand that. I would not like that either if I owned waterfront property.

Most propery owners I encounter in the creeks of the Magothy, Patpasco and Severn are exceeding friendly. I usually speak first with a simple "Hello". They'll ask, "How's the fishing?" Or, "Seen any snakeheads?" One time a property owner actually pointed to snakeheads under his dock. (I didn't catch one.) Often they will tell me about recent catches nearby giving me specific locations. I refer to their advice as "Dock Intel" and I have used it to my advantage.

The guy tossing things at anglers from his property is defintely in the wrong. My experiences in my home waters have been just the opposite. I've had countless friendly encouters with waterfront property owners. It's one of many things I like about the slower pace kayak fishing. Instead of speeding by a particular location I can proceed liesurely and talk to folks along the way.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This thread is an example of why I appreciate and value snaggedline. We all know what this would have devolved into and looked like if posted on other social media platforms. Here - we get real questions and helpful answers and discussions. Thanks for that.
                          Nick
                          2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

I agree with everyone else but I would also notify the local authorities since it's coming from land they may have jurisdiction also. I also concur doing anything in retaliation gives him ammunition against those who he has offended.

Comment

True story, if he throws something at you and he hits you he has now committed assault and battery. Film it, report it to the police, and get a warrant. Problem solved!

Comment

Working...
                              X