Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filet Knife Sharpener

What's a good filet knife sharpener?

For actual sharpening (i.e. removing material from the blade) use a whetstone or a guided sharpening system such as this: https://lansky.com/products/dlx-5-stone-system/ Steer clear of "pull through" style sharpeners, these are horrible for the blade. Most powered sharpeners are also not a good idea because they remove material way too fast. Certain ones, like Worksharp, are okay if you know how to use them, but it is very easy to screw up a knife if you're not careful (ask me how I know )

Actual sharpening should need to be done very infrequently. I have a Dexter Russel fillet knife that I've owned for 4 or 5 years and I've never taken a sharpening stone to it. However, I do hone it very frequently using a honing rod. Honing does not remove material from the blade but straightens out the microscopic irregularities that make the blade not feel razor sharp. Depending on the type of fish I'm cleaning I may hone the knife as often as every fish, or every couple fish.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I’ve been using the same “pull through” style sharpener for years. Couldn’t tell you the brand or where it came from but it keeps my knives very sharp. My go to knife has been through many fish including trigger fish. The sharpener keeps the blade and tip razor sharp. If you didn’t know trigger fish are very hard to filet due to their leather like skin. You have to get the blade under the skin a certain way, then you are able to take care of business. You need a good sharp blade with a good tip.

I will say not all blade sharpeners are the same. The one I have has a course and fine options. I believe the type of knife you use has more to do with sharpness than what you use to sharpen. Dexter Russell knives are nice. Don’t seem to hurt the pockets either. I have a nice set of bubba blades and rarely use them. Very expensive for what they are.
      Last edited by Jigsup; 11-01-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X