The Quest for 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest for 70

Each January I set new fishing goals for myself for the year. In 2022, my primary goal was to catch at least 70 different species on rod and reel. I stalled out at 56 species during the fall, but thanks to a three-week trip to Florida after Thanksgiving, I exceeded my goal by catching 73 different species. Nearly all of my fishing is done in small kayaks.

Here are my summary statistics for the year.
    • 209 days during which I fished
    • 2,707 total fish caught (including 1,010 stripers and 865 perch)
    • 73 species caught (11 new species and 8 others with personal best).

I prepared a written summary of my fishing in 2022, with photos of all 73 species I caught. Anyone interested can go to Google Docs at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHL...usp=share_link and download the report. If you are uncomfortable downloading a file from Google Docs, send your email address to javeil09@gmail.com. I can provide the report via email.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That's a heck of a year of fishing, John! Congrats on reaching 70 species. I don't know what's more impressive, catching 73 species, or catching more stripers than perch. That's an accomplishment itself on the Bay!
    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post
      That's a heck of a year of fishing, John! Congrats on reaching 70 species. I don't know what's more impressive, catching 73 species, or catching more stripers than perch. That's an accomplishment itself on the Bay!
      Thanks for the compliments. I had a much harder time catching white perch this year than in previous years. I hope that was an aberration and not the start of a decline. I found a few spots that held a lot of stripers. Not every angler enjoys light tackle trolling as much as I do, but it sure was effective this year. I fished 12 times at one spot in the greater Eastern Bay area during May and June. I trolled paddletails in shallow water and averaged 32 stripers over those 12 trips.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

75vwxt.jpg

Comment

Nice going! Not many can say they have done that. You definitely put in the time.

Comment

Impressive numbers John, and great writeup. Congrats on exceeding your goal for the year. You are hardcore!
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

Thanks for the compliments. I had a much harder time catching white perch this year than in previous years. I hope that was an aberration and not the start of a decline.
              I do worry about what impact the double whammy of invasive blue catfish and snakeheads is having on our white perch populations. Both are voracious predators that prefer to feed on fish, and the areas they are moving into overlap a lot with traditional perch habitat.

- Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post

I do worry about what impact the double whammy of invasive blue catfish and snakeheads is having on our white perch populations. Both are voracious predators that prefer to feed on fish, and the areas they are moving into overlap a lot with traditional perch habitat.
                I agree with you that those predators are impacting perch. Another species that is not getting enough discussion is cormorants. I see more of them each year and in places where I had not seen them previously. I have watched cormorants swallow two or three caught and released speckled trout, one after another in Florida. If they can deal with the perch's sharp dorsal fin, they could be devastating.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

I agree with you that those predators are impacting perch. Another species that is not getting enough discussion is cormorants. I see more of them each year and in places where I had not seen them previously. I have watched cormorants swallow two or three caught and released speckled trout, one after another in Florida. If they can deal with the perch's sharp dorsal fin, they could be devastating.
                  I've talked to a few people that have researched cormorants diets, and they seem to focus primarily on soft fin rayed fish, especially of the shad and herring variety. I know they hit the hickory shad hard on the Potomac during the spring run, and I assume they mostly eat menhaden on the Bay. I'm sure they eat their share of perch, but spiny rayed fish like that don't seem to be their preference.
                  - Cliff

Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
                  X