Kayak Ferry Service update and news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Ferry Service update and news

I would like to clear up some possible future misunderstanding about the ferry service. The cost is estimated based upon the distance from my nearest point of departure,(where the guideboat is launched) to the point of where you want to get picked up, then to your destination, and then my return to my launch point by the most direct route. The cost is based upon the actual round trip mileage, or my estimate whichever is less. Payment by cash or personal check,please. If you desire to get picked up later or another day or at another place, that cost is estimated and quoted exactly the same way, but the actual cost may be less than the second estimate and it may not be the same as the previous fare.

So for example, Mr Smith wants to fish around Adams Island. He lives near Salisbury. First, I identify the closest place to Holland Island where Mr Smith can be picked up, which is Wenona Harbor on Deal Island Md. Then I determine the place where the guideboat will be launched that is closest or most convenient to where Mr Smith will be picked up, which is St Jerome's Creek, MD. The estimate is based upon the distance from St Jeromes Ck to Wenona to Adams Island and directly back to St Jerome's Creek. If Mr Smith wants to be picked up that same day, from Adams and delivered to Wenona, the cost of his return to Wenona will be the same as his first trip out. But, the situation might be that he wants to fish a few days and then get picked up at a different place and returned to Wenona, which will be a different mileage and a different cost.

BTW , estimates are based upon nautical miles, not statue miles. At present, the rate is $1.25/nm for each kayak. With a minumum of two kayaks, or pay for two kayaks.

In order for this type of ferry service to work best, I collect payment after each trip just like if you hired a land taxi . Cash or personal check, please.

My intention in providing kayak ferry service is to be a game changer in how we use kayaks on Ches Bay and to make distant places more accessible . Your suggestions and use of my ferry service is invited. At present the guideboat is limited to three yaks. I have already acquired a larger boat that can handle four, making my total capacity to be seven, with a second operator. This in turn opens new possibilities....like a weekend Yak- Fest on a remote Ches Island. We need to find out who owns Holland Island.

Photos Provided By Bluhaven Piers (Hobie dealer in Southern Maryland)

Bluhaven Piers, located on Smith Creek , Ridge Md provided camera operator, chase boat and Hobie kayaks for a photo-shoot. Many thanks to them. These are intended to show the ease of launching, carrying and recovery off the guideboat in deepwater. I specifically asked for the Hobie Pro Angler as it was the largest, heaviest and potentially the most problematic kayak that I would be involved with. Bluhaven provided not only a PA but also an Outback and a Revolution, all of which were loaded and carried with ease.

Comment

Trip booked!!!

I called Capt Brady yesterday and have already booked my trip. I've actually be researching this type of ferry service all spring and can say that he is providing this service at a very fair rate.

There are some excellent locations to be fished in the bay just outside of safe paddling distance that boaters have been taking advantage of for years. I'm sure many of you know these areas. I'll certainly post all the details of our trip when we return, but in the meantime I thought tell everyone we've booked our trip.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice to hear the Pro angler is manageable. That way it can be offered to all kayaks!!

Comment

Never A Doubt

Matt,

There was never a doubt that a Pro Angler was manageable but it was important to me to demonstrate it. I'm only lifting one end, and pivoting the yak across the washboard, so the physicality of that task is rather easy. It gets pivoted right into the carrier cradle or onto the port deck. No big deal and best done by one person. Of course we unload the yak first to negate the possibility of dumping something overboard.

We trialed in Smith Creek, a MD tributary of the Potomac River. It may be more challenging in the river or the Bay in a running three foot sea and whitecaps, but I'm confident it can become a usual thing.

Comment

You have made amazing progress in a short period of time with this new venture. Thanks for providing this service for us kayakers. As word travels i'm sure you will find you calendar filled with new customers. Now i need to hit some maps and find some new places to try out.

Comment

Working...
            X