Fishing license renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing license renewal

For many years, the Maryland DNR issued fishing licenses on a calendar year basis. I always renewed during the week between Christmas and New Years. A few years ago, they switched to a 365-day basis (a full year from the date when you bought the license). Since my licenses had always been renewed around the end of the year, the renewal date stayed at that same time of year for me. However, this year I almost forgot. I fished on Dec 29. After getting home, I wondered if I had still been covered by the 2022 license. Fortunately, my license was still in effect until Jan 3, 2023. Yesterday I did my renewal online using the DNR Compass site. It gave me a .pdf version of the license. I printed out two copies -- one for my tackle box and one for my wallet. I am good until Jan 3, 2024.

I write this as a reminder to renew your license before the old one expires. It would be embarrassing to get caught fishing on an expired license.

While getting old brings many disadvantages, here is one beneficial item. For any Maryland resident already 65 years old or who will turn 65 during the 2023 calendar year, you are eligible to get a Resident Senior Consolidated License (to fish in the fresh waters of Maryland (including trout) and in Maryland's tidal waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, Atlantic coast and coastal bays 365 days from the date of purchase. This senior license costs only $5.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks for the reminder. I have been embarrassed once. During the covid season, I was at a popular spot for snakeheads. Dnr came by and asked to check my license. I happily give it to him not realizing my freshwater license wasn’t valid. As he was writing the fine I was paying for the license on my phone. Told him it was a mistake he still gave me a fine. I thanked God I didn’t catch a fish that day. Lesson learned.

Comment

Good reminder John.

Yes, Maryland moved to a 365-day basis to expiration a few years ago. And you cannot beat the $5 fee for those of us who qualify by age. My present MD license expires in February.

But Delaware has remained on a calendar year basis for its fishing license. My current DE license expires at the end of today. Even for nonresidents, it's a good deal at $20. I don't keep precise fish count records. But easy catches of bluegills, picks and bass in those millponds throughout the year probably amortize my license costs to somewhere between nickles and dimes per fish. The DE license a great value for me.

The other good thing about licensing now now is the convenience of purchasing them online in MD and DE and other states too. It's so much nicer to buy a license online rather than riding around upon arrival in another state looking for a bait shop or WalMart to obtain a license. Like John, I make multiple copies so that I can keep a MD and DE license in each of my kayaks. However, I did forget my MD license on a wading trip this year.

Fortunately, I was not checked that day nor have been checked for my license by a DNR officer in any of the states I have fished in for many years. The last time I was visited by the DNR was in the Severn. The officer slowly approached my kayak in his boat. We chatted for some time about the nice weather and the fishing. Finally, I asked if he wanted to see my license. He said no. I was kind of disappointed.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When MD switched to the 365 license I noticed something I find confusing and that I don't like. If you renew your license for the upcoming year while your current license is still valid, both licenses will appear as separate line items on the PDF with their corresponding expiration dates. I've had officers check my license and tell me that it is expired, giving me a momentary scare, then I had to point out that he was looking at the wrong line item on the physical license, and that I did have a current valid license. He apologized for the mistake.

Since this experience I usually buy a "new" license the day after mine expires instead of "renewing" it ahead of time. That way there is only one line item for each license I hold (freshwater, tidal, and crabbing). It has been a couple years now, maybe they have changed the way the system works.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
          It has been a couple years now, maybe they have changed the way the system works.
          Its still the same. I am good for quite a while since I renewed my license due to looking at the wrong line item.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Maryland uses COMPASS as its online licensing system.

It has a record of all your online license purchases. The 365 day license started on 2016. I didn't realize it had been that long. Time flies.

A good thing about COMPASS is that you can reprint a valid license as needed.

I wonder if a DNR officer would give you a break if you happened to forget your license on an outing but showed him or her the COMPASS file on your smart phone indicating you have a valid license? Probably not because the license is supposed to be in your possession. But would an electronic file suffice? I can hear the reply now, "Tell it to the judge."

Given the lengthy list of MD fishing licenses on my COMPASS file, I've been well invested in MD's fisheries for many years.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I wonder if a DNR officer would give you a break if you happened to forget your license on an outing but showed him or her the COMPASS file on your smart phone indicating you have a valid license? Probably not because the license is supposed to be in your possession. But would an electronic file suffice? I can hear the reply now, "Tell it to the judge."
              A digital copy of your fishing license is completely valid and legal in MD, it says so right on the license itself:

Please note that the licensee or permittee listed below is required to have in their
              possession a printed paper copy or electronic copy of their license or permit while
              engaged in fishing, hunting, or operating an off-road vehicle
              If you have the PDF file saved to your phone this will suffice if checked by an officer. Of course, relying on your phone in a water oriented sport has some inherent risk (albeit minor, with today's phone technology). It's overkill but I carry multiple paper copies with me, one in my wallet, one in the dry hatch in my kayak, and one in my truck.

I think MD is pretty lenient in this regard. Some states require you to have a physical copy of your license, and some states take it further and require you to display a physical copy at all times while fishing, e.g. in a plastic pouch pinned to your vest or hat.
              Last edited by dsaavedra; 01-04-2023, 10:20 AM.
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Dave,

Good legal work!

I appreciate it.

Mark
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

One other permit that I need to renew is my Queen Anne's County ramp permit/bumper sticker. In 2022 I fished 27 times in QA County, easily justifying the $35 cost of the annual permit. The county is diligent about checking any vehicle parked at the launch spots, whether with a trailer or not. They do ticket if you are not displaying the permit.

The next time I stop in Anglers I will get my 2023 permit.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    One other permit that I need to renew is my Queen Anne's County ramp permit/bumper sticker. In 2022 I fished 27 times in QA County, easily justifying the $35 cost of the annual permit. The county is diligent about checking any vehicle parked at the launch spots, whether with a trailer or not. They do ticket if you are not displaying the permit.

The next time I stop in Anglers I will get my 2023 permit.
                    Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to remember to pick up my QA and Talbot launch permits next time I cross the bridge.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                    X