Fishing presentation - Jan 18 - Annapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing presentation - Jan 18 - Annapolis

I was invited to speak to the Annapolis Anglers Club on Wed, Jan 18. The presentation "The Quest for 70" describes my ambitious quest to catch at least 70 different species on rod and reel during 2022. I caught about 30 species in Maryland waters, but needed to venture south to Florida to catch the remaining 43 species to exceed the goal. The presentation includes photos of all 73 species, along with stories about how some of those fish were caught. 90% of my fishing during the year was made in shallow water while fishing from kayaks.

Keeping track of all those catches requires some form of recordkeeping. The presentation also describes the spreadsheet I created in 2021 that tracks how many fish of each species are caught during each trip. After using the spreadsheet for two full years, I have a wealth of data on my fishing results.

The meeting begins at 7:00 pm and is held at the American Legion Post #7, 1905 Crownsville Rd, Annapolis, MD 21401. From the AAC website: "Annapolis Anglers Club meetings are open to the public. Spouses and children are welcome to attend. There will be drawings for table prizes and a 50/50 raffle. Tickets for the table prizes and the 50/50 drawing are $5 each. Food and drinks are available at very reasonable prices from the American Legion Post kitchen. Arrive early, have dinner, and get your prize and raffle tickets."

slippery dick talking.jpg

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

See you there, John. I am glad I checked the forum today. I haven't checked in a while, but I ordered a fish finder yesterday, so I am thinking about fishing :--)

Comment

Good deal, Rob. I look forward to seeing you and hope that some other Snaggedline members can come to the presentation too.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I hope that some Snaggedline members can attend the meeting on Wed evening. For those who are interested, but cannot travel there, you may be able to watch the presentation online. The program chairman for the Annapolis Anglers Club posted this on Facebook today: "Barring any technical difficulties, we are planning an in-person meeting as well as a live-stream on our Annapolis Anglers Club Facebook Group Page. The Facebook live-stream should start around 7 p.m. on Wednesday."

Among other stories, hear how I caught this tarpon on a rod broken in half by the strong fish.

2022-12-05-11.jpg

John Veil
        Annapolis

Comment

I am looking forward to hearing this story in person tonight, John. Was it a St Croix rod?

Comment

John, I really enjoyed your presentation last night. Arron was watching via stream and wants to go to Florida now :--)

Comment

Rob - Thanks for coming out to hear the talk. I appreciate it. If you and Arron have the chance to fish in Florida, you will find a lot of fun opportunities and some large and strong fish. I am heading back there next month and can hardly wait to get there again.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

John great presentation. Here is a link if folks are interested in hearing it: https://www.facebook.com/10001081072...7521595705999/
                Nick
                2021 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                X