Fluke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluke?

This time of year I usually get into my winter mode of tying up bucktails, maintaining reels, and watching fluke kayak videos to see if there are any new techniques. I like Striper fishing, but fishing for flatties in the Spring gets my blood moving. However, when I think of kayak fishing for fluke, I always think of the long trips to jersey’s back bay. There are so many nooks and crannies in Jersey marshy areas that you can easily spend a day without seeing another soul except head shakers, but the drive kills me.
    I used to target them in Chincoteague and wachapreague (?), and even the lower eastern shore outer tip, with some success but they are just as far as a trip to Jersey. Do you any of you guys target fluke in the bay? Any tips?

(To avoid the taxonomy lesson - Google translate: Fluke are close enough to flounder for us southern folk : )
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

This is interesting. Flounder seems like they have been making a comeback these last few years or so. I haven’t targeted them but have seen them caught off north beach fishing pier this pass summer. I’ve also read reports of people catching them. I’d have to figure targeting them in the open bay or rivers would be a challenge given their population. But if one would do serious homework it may be worth it.

I know older fisherman use to catch keeper flounder (years ago of course) close to the mouth of the Patuxent off ledges using bucktails.

Comment

I used to catch a bunch around Hopper's Island in the mid to late summer, but I haven't fished that area in probably 10+ years now. They never really had much size though and a "trophy" was maybe 15". It was more just something I did for fun to change up the pace in some of my seasonal fishing habits.

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find flounder fishing in the bay that even starts to compare with the NJ - DE - MD - VA coastal bays or the lower Chesapeake (CBBT - HRBT area).
      Brian

Comment

We used to catch keepers in cornfield harbor on the Potomac in June-Aug but it seems like Flounder in the bay are tough to come by. If you really want to go after them, head to Massachusetts and hit Buzzard's Bay in mid-June. You can catch scup, black sea bass, and floooooke all in the same places on a bucktail and gulp.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I would have suggested CFH as well during the summer months. Flounder have been difficult. It's been been at least two decades since I've caught anything over 20".
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
          X