Converting PA 14 to electric motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting PA 14 to electric motor

I bought a Hobie PA 14 last year. The stability of the kayak and mirage drive are great given my experience last year. I have major back, i.e. disc problems, but the ergonomics of this kayak worked for me. Now I am thinking of adding an electric motor to extend my range a bit. Can anyone tell me their experience in terms of licensing the boat? I am not in a hurry but I realize I have to register as a power boat, pay a yearly fee, and an excise tax on the boat. The boat is a year old, the motor will be an add on. I live near Annapolis and I trailer this kayak. Not too far from the DMV, so I could do the registration in person? Any experience would help me out. My likely pick will be a Torqueedo mounted on transom. Any thoughts on this motor? (it's expensive)

It’s a very simple process, as long as you have the original bill of sale and manufacturers certificate of origin. If you don’t have those take a clear photo or etching of the hull ID number and they will work out the current value of the boat for you to pay tax on in addition to the license fee. If you have your bill of sale showing that you paid tax then you’ll be good. Just take those things to the DNR office in the MVD building near you and they will set you up. It’s very cheap for a kayak, as long as you can prove that you paid taxes.

Comment

Thanks Ted, I have the original bill, though I bought it in Delaware so I expect to pay taxes on it now. I got confused about excise versus sales tax... I gather they refer to the same thing. Since the motor will be bought as an add on this year, to make this a "power" boat, that must also be included in the value of the boat even though I will have paid state tax on it?

Comment

I added a trolling motor to my kayak. Called dnr to get an idea of the registration process. I was told bring receipt along with certificate of origin, photo of hull identification number, and a statement saying the kayak didn’t come with a motor and that i installed one on. If I didn’t have the receipt or certificate of origin, I can bring the statement and photo of hull identification number and they will determine the used sale value. I would have to pay taxes on that value. He told me it would be much cheaper if I had my documents.

I would think you would only pay the tax on the original purchase price of the kayak. Don’t think they would calculate the motor with the value of the kayak seeing you brought them separately.

Comment

Thanks, Jigsup. I have the receipt, but not the certificate of origin, so I wrote Hobie with the Serial number. Hope that will settle the paperwork requirements. The boat was all that I bought and that was a year ago and that is all that is on the receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by dsitka View Post
            Thanks, Jigsup. I have the receipt, but not the certificate of origin, so I wrote Hobie with the Serial number. Hope that will settle the paperwork requirements. The boat was all that I bought and that was a year ago and that is all that is on the receipt.
            I recommend that you not wait for Hobie, just take in a photo of the hull ID with legible characters and you will be fine. You might wait a long time for Hobie. The receipt is the more important paper.

Comment

Thanks Ted for the comment. Hobie is almost impossible to get a reply from. I have tried 5 times to get some questions about parts that have disappeared from most shops like the Trailer cradles. They just don't answer the contact message. Really disappointing service. I will go the route you mentioned. I'm close enough to the DNR so I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
              X