Planning a fishing road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a fishing road trip

I have been fortunate to make many fishing trips to Florida over the past decade. In 2013, I met kayak guide Neil Taylor in the Tampa Bay area. Neil and I hit it off, and I ended up fishing with him on nearly 150 days during the next 8 years. Neil is no longer guiding, so I have expanded my fishing to other parts of Florida. For many years, I would fly on Southwest out of BWI into Tampa, Ft Myers, or Ft Lauderdale, depending on where I wanted to fish. I would rent a car and find lodging near where I planned to fish. Typically those trips had me staying more or less in one part of Florida for several days to a week. My last trip of that style came in Feb 2020 (just before Covid became a big-time issue). Since then, I have not been back on an airplane.

If I cannot fly because of Covid concerns, how can I get to Florida or other distant destinations? Fortunately for me, I am retired and my wife does not mind if I travel for 2 to 3 weeks at a time (during my working years, I traveled extensively -- nearly every month for 20 years, so she got used to having me gone). Since 2021, I have made several driving trips to Florida. The first of these came in spring 2021. I drove to Florida and fished with kayak guides at various spots. I brought my own kayak with me (inside my van) and was able to fish on my own on days without charters). In 2022, I made a 3-week trip in the spring and a second trip between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am scheduled to head back to Florida in mid-Feb for another 3 weeks.

During the many years I traveled for business, I usually made my own travel arrangements. Those skills are useful when planning a fishing road trip. When I get the green light from my wife to plan a trip, here are the things I think about.
    • Dates and trip length - When choosing the start and end dates, I must consider if there are birthdays or other family dates during which I should be at home. I also need to determine how many days I can afford to be gone (both financially and with spousal approval).
    • Destinations - The next thing to consider is where I want to fish, and for how many days at each location.
    • Willingness to drive - Getting to the GA/FL border is about 800 miles from Annapolis. I am willing to do one very long driving day in each direction. I typically drive to Brunswick, GA (~670 miles and 11 hours) on the first day. It is not a fun day, but it gets me most of the way there. Others may prefer to take 3 or more days of shorter drives to get there. When I leave Brunswick on day 2, I can drive toward my next destination (near Tampa if on the west coast, or near Titusville on the east coast). The drive there takes several hours and allows me to fish during the afternoon of day 2. One other option is taking the Amtrak Autotrain in one or both directions. This train runs from just south of the Washington Beltway to near Orlando. Your vehicle is transported on the train while you sit inside a passenger car. The train runs through the night. I used the Autotrain to come north in 2019.
    • Scheduling guides - I have found kayak guides that I like in the lower Keys and in the Miami/Everglades areas. Once I have my trip dates approximated, I contact those guides to see on which days their schedules can accommodate 3 or more consecutive charter days with me. Some times it is easy to find several days at each spot. In the upcoming trip in early March, they had relatively few open dates, so I had to shoehorn a visit into their schedules and will have a few open days on my own to fish.
    • Lodging - Some anglers like to camp out and bring their own tents or trailers with them. I personally do not camp, and rely on hotels or other lodging. I tend to stay at 2 star or 3 star properties, as I do not need the amenities of fancier places. When I am in the Keys, I found a great spot where I can rent a floating cabin (essentially a small houseboat) for the days I am there. I found that booking there for a week is not much more costly than for 4 or 5 nights, as they offer a weekly discount. Once I have the dates and guides arranged, I book my lodging at places that are convenient to where I will be fishing.
    • Fill in rest of the route - For about half of my days in Florida, I will be fishing on my own rather than with a guide. I also need to move from one part of the state to another. I try to scout out locations where I want to fish that are either near where I slept the night before, near where I will sleep the following night, or somewhere in between. Once I make those decisions, I can arrange the rest of my lodgings.

I typically make a shorter trip during the summer months to the Virginia eastern shore and stay there for 3 to 5 nights while fishing in those waters. Last summer, John Rentch and I made that trip, but added a few extra days in coastal NC to fish with another kayak guide I know.

Depending on your available time and budget, there are many places to visit on a fishing road trip. For those of you interested in kayak fishing in Florida, I am happy to offer some suggestions on guides and where to go.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Let’s do the NC/VA trip again!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John,

Good info. Since I retired in 2021 I’ve done something similar. I drive down, with full gear and inflatable kayak, up to a week early and then my wife flies down. I then pick here up and we do another week. My week lets me fish alone and then when she shows up we do some scuba diving, spearfishing, and go out in the kayak once or twice for some fishing, and ups along our accommodations. We’ve done that three times so far and it’s working very well. I’m in Ellicott city and also try to get as near as I can to the Florida Georgia border. I’m finding the drive peaceful as long as I can get out of DC without any issues.

My first trip was in March of 2022 and I camped in the Everglades and it was great. The next trip was in September 2022 and I tried to camp at Long Key and got chewed alive. I counted over 200 bites the first night and moved into a cheap motel for the rest of my time alone. I don’t know if it was the beach or time of year, but those bites and the heat wiped me out so much it really limited my activities. Did our third trip a couple weeks ago and again had a great time. Already have our next trip planned for August.

An additional note based on my observations, buy gas in Virginia, and then about 20 miles inside South Carolina and top off again before entering Florida. Cheapest gas states.

Ted

Comment

John,

appreciate the information regarding planning a trip. I haven’t heard of the Autotrain before - I plan to do some research on that, even if for family trips. I’m guessing kayaks would need to be fully in a vehicle (e.g. no kayak on truck with bed extender)?

One additional option for lodging that can be affordable are MWR/DoD getaways for those with access. I think the prices went up last year, but it used to be about $82 a night in VB area.
        J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
          John,

appreciate the information regarding planning a trip. I haven't heard of the Autotrain before - I plan to do some research on that, even if for family trips. I'm guessing kayaks would need to be fully in a vehicle (e.g. no kayak on truck with bed extender)?

One additional option for lodging that can be affordable are MWR/DoD getaways for those with access. I think the prices went up last year, but it used to be about $82 a night in VB area.
          I don't know how the Autotrain would deal with a kayak hanging out the back of a pickup or on the roof racks of some other vehicle. You would need to check with Amtrak about that. I attached a photo of one of the rail cars used to haul vehicles. I suspect they stack them in two layers.20190216_072414.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, I think I’d have to call ahead and see about it. Their website mentions empty roof racks being ok and bike racks with bikes being ok.

Wouldn’t have to worry if I could stick my kayak in a van!
            J

Comment

The Autotrain is not inexpensive, but it saves about 850 miles of driving (fuel; wear and tear) plus one or more nights of lodging and two meals. You pay for a space for your vehicle and then another ticket for your seat. The seat price does include dinner and breakfast, however.

2019-02-15 15-39-11.jpg

2019-02-15 15-48-54.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
              X