Suggestion for New Members of this Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for New Members of this Forum

For anyone new to this forum, new to kayak fishing, or both, I have a suggestion based on my experience with this forum and the anglers who make up the community....

I have been an active member of this forum for about three years. The amount of help that I have received from other anglers is without parallel. Both John and Mark have fantastic books that are so full of useful information, that I cannot describe it....to do so would be a disservice to both of them as I would surely inadvertently omit something. There is a long list of others that have helped me as well...

Both John and Mark give presentations and seminars that are free to attend. Others may do so as well...

Posting questions was how I got started. I would ask questions,literally anything that I wanted to know about fishing in this area from a kayak, and I always received help.

Over time, the "cast of characters" that would reply to my questions with thoughtful, thorough responses....those people have become my friends and fishing buddies. The first year I met with a couple of anglers (there are threads about how to approach this) and each experience was positive and I learned a lot. The next year I may have met with 10 different anglers...I learned things from fishing with them, ranging from how to set up my kayak, to fishing techniques and occassionaly even people sharing some of their favorite spots with me.

There is no substitute for time on the water (which is working against me currently) and there is no substitute for developing relationships with other anglers and fishing with them.

I have probably met up with about 15-20 anglers from the forum and I have never regretted meeting them or fishing with them.

The help is here...in abundance, despite the steady decline of activity on this forum. Let's try to bring it back to life together...

Hopefully we get a little more activity on the forum as things warm up soon. It always slows down over the winter. It's always fun to read a quick trip report!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

UnkleRob,

What an encouraging post. Thank you!

It is very true that there is no substitute for time on the water. I say that as the author of two books, magazine and internet articles and various presentations on fishing. Books, articles, and presentations can provide advice but the act of fishing is the best teacher. The more I fish the more I learn.

Also, I have benefitted from this forum by meeting others who enjoy fishing. Some have become close friends in addition to fishing partners. I am most appreciative of this site for that reason.

But perhaps the best thing about Snaggedline is that its participants have respected each other. The instances of “keyboard bravado” leading to cheap shots or insults have been minimal over the years. The discourse here has been genuine with participants desiring only to impart helpful information based on their own experiences.

Indeed, the number of posts has declined over the years. I suspect some have drifted from the hobby and others may be using other social media forums. But Snaggedline remains a prime source of local kayak fishing information. I appreciate those who have stayed and continue to participate. I am esepcially thankful that newer posters have recently joined us.

Every kayak angler regardless of their experience has something to share or learn about the hobby. Snaggedline remains a terrific place to obtain kayak angling advice and to help others with what you know on the subject. Let's all use it.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark and John are fantastic! Love their posts!

Comment

Working...
        X