tent camping near calvert cliffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tent camping near calvert cliffs

I was looking for some info. on any tent camping sites near calvert cliffs. I wanted to take my two kids for a weekend camping trip there to do some kayaking/fishing/ and fossil hunting. I saw that calvert cliffs state park didn/t have any camping areas. I appreciate any info. any of you guys from that area might have. thanks

i wish i could be more helpful but i don't remember the name of the place but i was researching fossil hunting a year or two ago online and found a private WF campground. i think it was just north of the park.

at the time, i was interested because the park doesn't allow law-abiding folks to go north along the cliffs which would seem to be the best places to look for freshly washed-out fossils w/o ignoring the signs (which i think a lot of folks do), and i was thinking the private grounds would have less traffic anyway.

hang in there a little more for your search - i think there is a spot!

Comment

I can't help with Calvert Cliffs, but one camping/kayaking/fossil-hunting alternative is Westmoreland State Park in Virginia. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/wes.shtml

I think the fossil generating formation there is the same as the one at Calvert Cliffs.

Comment

don't think there are any close to actually calvert cliffs park. try breezy point though. the cliffs all along calvert have sharks teeth.

Comment

regarding my previous search results; maybe this is place i was thinking of. really not sure.

we did go fossil hunting at the park but we did not have time for camping after all, so i do not know anything else about this place.

http://www.matoakabeachcabins.com/

if you fossil hunt, my suggestion is to bring a screen of some sort for ea fossil hunter for sifting through the pebble bits in the surf wash.

" Although rentals are only available April through October, day visitors are welcome, and frequent, throughout the entire year. Matoaka offers public access to a clean private beach, with beach access available from sun-up to sun-down for a nominal fee. Matoaka is a great place to slip off for the day and visit the beach where beach goers can enjoy combing the beach for fossils, sun bathing, swimming, boating, fishing, and relaxation. Located on the famous Calvert Cliffs, Matoaka has been written up for years in reputable publications for its extraordinary output of Choptank Formation fossils such as Sharks Teeth, Whale Material, and Mollusks. Additionally, the beach is wide and sandy, perfect for relaxing under an umbrella with the kids safely wading in the shallow waters of the Chesapeake.
          -picnic
          -fossil -hunting
          -beaches
          -fish / crab
          -birding
          -sun bathing
          -kayaking
          -boating"

Comment

It's Not Right On Ches Bay, but Nearby

Patuxent Camp Sites‎
            4774 Williams Wharf Road
            Saint Leonard, MD 20685
            (410) 586-9880

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. about camping sights. My kids will be happy to here we got some useful info. They are chomping at the bit to go on this excursion. Southerly, the place you recommended sounds like apretty nice place, I will check into it. Thanks again RHill HAPPY FISHING EVERYONE

Comment

how did this work out for you? Planning the same trip with my kids

Comment

We ended up staying at Matoaka Beach cabins or campsite. You can camp ina tent there as well as rent a cabin if you wanted. it is a very primitive camp ground but they do have electric and water on sites. There is no bath house at all, only outhouses in woods for bathrooms. I didn't mind but my daughter wasn't to keen on the spiders in side outhouse watching her do her business. It was a nice place though with beautiful views of the bay from up top of the cliffs. Ask the owner about an access road that goes down to the water front to get kayaks down to the water if you plan on kayaking. The weekend we were there the water was pretty calm but I am sure it gets rough when there is any kind of wind. They alow fires on the beach at night but not at the actual sites. Good luck with the trip and feel free to pm me with any other questions you may have. Ryan

Comment

Working...
                  X