X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone can be a fisherman in May.

"Anyone can be a fisherman in May.” -- Hemmingway

How true that is.

May is a month of rejuvenation. Many plants come to full bloom this month. Birds are nesting or raising their young. And many of the fish species we seek are actively spawning or recently finished. They are famished from their efforts making them easy targets. Add mild temperatures to the mix, and being on the water in May is a wonderful experience.

I know that many on this forum concentrate on tidal waters seeking stripers after local regulations denied them that opportunity in April. Success may be sporadic -- especially as kayakers with our limited range. We must be where the stripers happen to be. We cannot run far (like a charter captain) to find them. In June before the real heat of summer arrives, their numbers will increase in the tributaries. Fishing for stripers should be easier then. You will even catch them while fishing for white perch. Then in July through September they will retreat to deeper waters only to return within our range as waters cool in fall.

But on a 25 to 100 acre freshwater pond in May, fish cannot hide or outrun our kayaks. We know where they are and what stage of spring activity their species is in. And given it is May, they are incredibly susceptible to our efforts to catch them. Hemmingway was right. I am an expert pond angler right now!

Further, I fish ponds on the fly which I believe is the perfect way to approach those waters. A fly rod is lightweight yet able to subdue the strongest bass or pickerel. The reel is present only to hold line. The sensation of the strike, setting the hook and the fight therefore occurs in my fingertips, not with the aid of a reel. And the cast is perhaps the most fun, whether laying out a long 50 footer or deftly curving the line under overhanging branches to a shady spot where I know bluegills are waiting.

May has been very good to me. I have visited three Eastern Shore ponds in four outings this month and left each one satisfied with the scenery and the action provided by the fish. Counts are unimportant but they have been substantial. The species variety has been good also. However, the real fun is enjoying the totality of what ponds offer at this time of year – the closeup views of nature, the calm waters, and the willing fish.

Here are few photos of those outings:

P1050631.jpg
    An audience of turtles is a common sight.

P1050641.jpg

These pads have made a pond within a pond -- a perfect place to cast a topwater fly.

P1050642.jpg

This little bass was waiting for my gurgler fly inside the pond within a pond.

P1050625A.jpg

That fly is ruined but picks will do that. The good news is that I landed the fish. I use a light tippets when I am not specifically pickerel fishing. This time the fish did not bite through it.

P1050619.jpg

Yellow perch -- Another colorful pond inhabitant.

P1050686.jpg

This bluegill hit a small streamer fly.

P1050695.jpg

This one took a bluegill standby -- a simple foam spider surface fly.

P1050701.jpg
    This flat bellied bass probably recently spawned. It fell for the white bluegill foam spider.

P1050711.jpg

A redear sunfish. Also known as a shellcracker. They hit harder than bluegills and fight like a bass.

I'll continue fishing the ponds until mid June. By that time, some of them get infiltrated with surface algae/slime/duckweed. They still fish well, but the surface covering is not conducive to fly fishing.

So, I will shift my focus to tidal waters for white perch.

But I will certainly miss the month of May when the pond fishing is so enjoyable and productive.

Again, Hemmingway knew fishing. He knew it well.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-26-2023, 04:47 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Well said Mark, lets hope what you said comes true this June.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thank you, John.

I’m glad we fished together on some of those pond outings.

I prefer company when I fish and I always enjoy yours.

As to June, we'll see. The MD striper YOY survey has been only 1/3 of the average each of the past 4 years and average or below for 7 of the last 10 years. I think we're chasing fewer stripers than we used to.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I don't fish ponds nearly as often as tidal water, but I had a nice enjoyable pond outing last night, getting 10 largemouth in the kayak - good numbers for the pond I was at. It was breezy for much of the trip but at dusk, once the sun dipped just below the trees, all wind stopped and the water was like glass. There's something really peaceful about sitting in a completely still pond, no wind or current or tide to push you around. It's a nice feeling.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Hi Mark,

I loved your post and the great photos!

Now that I am living in western MD with the Bay being around 3 hours from me I am all freshwater now. There are so many places to fish out here and in neighboring PA and WVA. I did a bit of creek hopping earlier this month to see what access was possible. I tried a bit of fishing at two locations that I have marked for next trout season. There are a lot more creek locations for me to check out.

Laura (aka zeebyrd)
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Dave, Laura,

Thank you for your replies.

Freshwater or tidal, fish are anxious to please us, especially in May.

Dave -- I know precisely that feeling of stillness on a pond you described as the sun sets. It's a beautiful time.

Laura -- Good luck with the many trout opportunities you have nearby. You are very close now to Maryland's only native trout, the brook trout. Their colors are incredible.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
            X