Looking for intel on kayak fishing at Cape May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for intel on kayak fishing at Cape May

I will be spending a week in Cape May, NJ at the end of July. I plan to bring my kayak and fishing gear. The kayak shop that I used to talk with to get info on fishing in that area is no longer in business. If any of you have any suggestions on places to launch around or near Cape May and what species to target, please reply to this post or send an email to javeil09@gmail.com.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

From the few times I've been there, launching I would try; Shellengers Landing is a municipal launch with free trailer parking... Limited parking though. In the same area is Spicers Creek Boat Access. Both are close to the canal, marsh lands and canal breakwater. Fishing mainly flounder in the back bays , striper, bluefish are predominant. Spring and fall are best but summer still can be productive mostly this time of year its best to target flounder imo. If you have time travel up to Stone Harbor that's a good area.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, I think flounder / fluke should be pretty hot around then. I think find some deeper water or at least try to fish the incoming when the water is a little cooler. I have only fished there in the fall for tog but we always hear about big sheepshead being caught around the bridges and jetties. I know you aren't much of a bait guy so I would say you have a shot at stripers/blues trolling around in the marsh and maybe even a weakfish. If you decide to try flounder, gulp and bucktails work great!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael. I will probably use a combination of bait and lures.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

John,

I had a house in North Cap May, just up the road from the Ferry. You can park on Beach drive or one of the streets that intersects with it. You will launch into the Delaware Bay where there are flounder, striped bass, spot etc.. Here is a map link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...tM20?entry=ttu
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
              John,

I had a house in North Cap May, just up the road from the Ferry. You can park on Beach drive or one of the streets that intersects with it. You will launch into the Delaware Bay where there are flounder, striped bass, spot etc.. Here is a map link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...tM20?entry=ttu
              Thanks for the info. I now have several spots to check out.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
              X