Outfitter/guide in Scotland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfitter/guide in Scotland?

Shot in the dark here—I’m going to be spending about a month in Scotland for work. Combining my loves of travel and kayak fishing, I’m hoping that I can hit the water while I’m over there. I would obviously need a fully guided/outfitted experience. I’m having no luck googling; find lots of fly fishing and sea charters, but haven’t found any kayak fishing guides.

Total long-shot, but was wondering if anyone on this board has any experience traveling to Scotland or knows of resources that might help me find a guide. Thank you!

Hi, I'm a Scot by birth, living in the USA and would offer the following:

(1) I don't think you'll find much in terms of kayak sea angling, Coastal waters can be pretty rough and inshore fish stocks aren't what they were.
    (2) The west coast towns of Oban and Fort William would be a good start. There was a company in Oban that offered guided sea kayaking but I don't about kayak fishing. Fort William for sure will have an angling shop and they will know. Check out Fort William Angling Shops.
    (3) Contact the Glasgow Angling Centre (large tackle retailer). My guess is they'll know of anything happening in the country.
    (4) I've seen youtube videos of people kayak fishing the East Coast, east of Edinburgh. Perhaps you can contact a youtuber and ask for leads or ask if they'd take you out.
    (5) Lastly you might want to research the West Coast Islands. Arran, Bute, Islay. I'm sure they'll have angling shops who could point you in the right direction.

Regards

Comment

Hi DST64, just wanted to say thanks for sharing the information above, it was really helpful. Ultimately I didn't find a kayak fishing outfitter. Looked into a fly-fishing day trip out of Ft. William, but they were more money than I wanted to spend. I did end up staying a day in Oban, and I went on an evening cruise/fishing trip. As fishing trips go, it was very tourist-y and idiot proof--he just had some spots and anchored over some schools of mackerel, and then it was vertical jigging off the bottom. Pretty fun though, especially when they're hitting it hard and you grab 3 or 4 on the same drop. Caught a few pollack as well. Really enjoyed chatting with the captain about all the fishing he does, and it was a great way to cruise around and enjoy the beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Scotland itself was amazing--spent a month in Edinburgh for work, and after that was finished was able to take about 5 days and tour through the Highlands (Glasgow, Oban, Fort William, Skye, and Inverness). Would love to go back and spend some more time, especially spend some more time on the islands. Thanks again for the pointers, helped point me in a couple directions even if I didn't end up getting in a kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakYak View Post
        Hi DST64, just wanted to say thanks for sharing the information above, it was really helpful. Ultimately I didn't find a kayak fishing outfitter. Looked into a fly-fishing day trip out of Ft. William, but they were more money than I wanted to spend. I did end up staying a day in Oban, and I went on an evening cruise/fishing trip. As fishing trips go, it was very tourist-y and idiot proof--he just had some spots and anchored over some schools of mackerel, and then it was vertical jigging off the bottom. Pretty fun though, especially when they're hitting it hard and you grab 3 or 4 on the same drop. Caught a few pollack as well. Really enjoyed chatting with the captain about all the fishing he does, and it was a great way to cruise around and enjoy the beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Scotland itself was amazing--spent a month in Edinburgh for work, and after that was finished was able to take about 5 days and tour through the Highlands (Glasgow, Oban, Fort William, Skye, and Inverness). Would love to go back and spend some more time, especially spend some more time on the islands. Thanks again for the pointers, helped point me in a couple directions even if I didn't end up getting in a kayak.
        I'm very glad you enjoyed Scotland. I was there in August myself and played golf at North Berwick which is possibly 40 miles east of Edinburgh on the coast. There were some very large rocks circa 0.5 - 2 miles off the surf and I thought, people must fish here by kayak. I looked on You-tube and there they were. So, if your ever back, I reckon ultimately the best way would be to contact some of these guys posting videos on YouTube and let them guide you.

Comment

Working...
        X