New PB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PB

I went out on Sunday October 1 on the lower Potomac with two buddies. We launched about two and half hours before the late afternoon incoming high tide. We did not have high hopes, as another buddy had been out overnight and reported still waters and a big moon with many fish feeding. We were determined to make the most of the weather though. It was a bit windy, but manageable. We didn't have much luck initially, with no bites for anyone in the first hour. I landed three fish in about four hours of overall fishing. The first and last were a 18" and 15.5" speckled trout. The trout were both just below points in relatively shallow water (estimated 3-5'). The real surprise was while trolling in the shallows (estimated 3-4'). My rod went down hard with drag screaming. I tightened drag and was rewarded with a very satisfying fight, netted a new kayak PB, 25" red.

I was using 4" paddle tails all day. The trout hit on pink/chartreuse with 1/8oz. red jigheads. The red hit on a pearl/glitter with a 1/4oz. red jighead. My buddies both got fish, but one only got a 10" trout. They other managed a 19" speckled trout and a pretty sizeable sea robin. My parents have never had redfish, so they were quite happy. So bait, but nothing seemed to be chasing it. Rocktober is upon us, but we haven't been seeing the rockfish here. Still seem to be lots of tooth creatures about, judging from the soft baits I've been replacing. Stay safe out there Snaggedliners.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Congrats on the PB - that's a solid fish and sounds like it put up a great fight for you
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
    X