Florida road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida road trip

I have not posted much on Snaggedline in the past six months. I posted often for many years and decided to scale back and let others take the lead. Despite that hiatus, I am still fishing frequently. I returned home yesterday after a three-week fishing trip to Florida. I drove my van over 3,000 miles, burned about 115 gallons of gas, fished from a kayak on 18 consecutive days, caught 209 fish of 27 species, and had a great time.

I made a similar trip last year and had considerably less desirable wind and weather conditions this year. Despite the tough conditions, I still caught fish each day and was able to catch nearly all of the usual inshore gamefish species, including: redfish, speckled trout, bonefish, tarpon, barracuda, jack crevalle, lemon shark.

I prepared a report that gives day-by-day summaries of my fishing and posted it on Google Drive. The report can be downloaded at: https://drive.google.com/.../1HlfH7Yj.../view....

IMG_0712.jpg

2023-12-04-001.jpg

snook 1.jpg

tarpon 1.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

J.: I enjoyed your latest log of fishing adventures! Your perseverance during the lousy weather is commendable. I’ll be headed to Gaspirilla Island (near Ft Myers) in February. I’ll contact you off-line to get some hints. Thanks for sharing your trip!
    Al

Comment

Yeah...you are one avid fisherman...Thanks for your report.

Comment

My son and I spent two weeks in Florida in August. They have a truly amazing fishery down there.

I envy your ability to fish in the light! It was so hot when I was there, we could really only fish between midnight and 9am. We had the wind as well so unfortunately no offshore or bay kayak fishing for us. Mainly protected rivers and bayous.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
        X