Self-Rescue in cold water - sharing my experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Rescue in cold water - sharing my experience

I got dunked more than 12 times. The coldest water was 34 F.
    I am not 60s any more. I think I have to stop fishing in the cold water sometime soon. During my annual cold water self-rescue practice in November 2023, I found that I lost physical strength and speed. It was totally different from a year ago.

Instead of a short one day practice, I practiced hard on 3 different days. Since than I resume the cold water fishing.

My water in January- February is CBBT. I fish for tautog. After this freeze, I will go fishing there.

I posted 2 videos about sold water self rescue. I put everything I learn and I did/do for decades of my cold water fishing experience. My self-rescue is based on Tautog Fishing at CBBT in January-February. However, my preparations and my practices may benefit new kayakers. I put what to do, something expected and what not to do.

Please watch both videos. They are closely related.

Part 1: Safety EQMT and clothing - I cover everything here

Part 2: Self-Rescue practice - Full dress rehearsal. The cold-water self-rescue is completely different from the warm water self-rescue.

BTW,
    I post my fishing logs in only two sites. So, if you think the videos are valuable, Please share with your kayak friends

Thanks.
    Joe

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-19-2024, 04:20 PM. Reason: self rescue
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great videos, some really helpful tips in there. I'm curious why you choose not to wear a dry suit?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Joe,

Thank you for posting.

Your preparations and practice sessions are commendable and educatioinal.

It's especially important for those of us who are older to recognize that age can override our experience and preparation when it comes to survival during a mishap on the water.

I am joining you this year in my 7th decade of life. I've read the hyporthermia charts with their diminshing expected times of survival as water temperatures fall. But I've seen no studies where the age of the victim is part of the calculation. However, I think I know the answer. As you discovered in your latest practice session, our strength diminshes with age. I have recognized that myself in recent years as my kayaks became progressively harder for me to lift to the roof of my van. Hence, I now transport them in a pickup truck which requires a much less lifting effort.

I still fish in my kayak in winter but I am very cautious about conditions, locations and company as follows:

1. I fish only "small water" in winter. To me that means millponds and tidal creeks -- not the Bay proper nor its rivers with strong tidal flows.
      2. I launch directly into the waters I fish. I do not travel across large exapanses open water to reach my desired locations.
      3. I am never far from shore.
      4. I monitor the weather forecast prior departure, especially the wind forecast. I pick my location accordingly. I fish only where I have ample leeside protection. If the wind exceeds the forecast, I either do not launch or I leave the water immediately.
      5. I do not fish alone.
      6. I carry a VHF radio to stay in touch with my fishing partner.
      7. I always wear my PFD.
      8. I do not wear a full dry suit but I wear dry pants and neoprene boots to protect my lower body from inevitable cold water splashes.

Do the above precautions guarantee my coldwater survival in the event of a mishap? Of course not. But for now they satisfy my perrsonal risk tolerance. The trick for me is recognizing when the risk becomes too great for my age and or physical capability.

And then what will I do? I'll certainly fish less or not at all in winter. The thought of a larger, more stable and more comfortable vessel (a trailered Jon Boat perhaps) has also entered my mind. Time and circumstance will tell.

But again, thank you for your videos on this topic.

Good work.

Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,
        When the time comes, I will stop. To me, Revolution is the better kayak for me for self-rescue in up-righting the kayak and easy re-entry. So, perhaps I will use the Revolution before giving up.
        I heading CBBT tomorrow and will see if wind is calm enough. If I don't like the wind, I will go to Rudee.

Happy fishing!
        Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
          Great videos, some really helpful tips in there. I'm curious why you choose not to wear a dry suit?
          The biggest issue is that the pressure by the neck seal is too much. Even though I have a thin neck, I get bulging eyes and sinus headache due to the pressures applied to my veins on neck. I can't adjust the pressure unless I cut some part of the neck seal. If I cut the neck seal and the water comes in when dunked, The water inside won't be drained until I complete the reentry and stretch the waist seal.

Tomorrow, I will be wearing a semi-dry top. Semi-dry top doesn't come with tight neck seal. The waist of semi-dry top won't seal the waist like the dry top. So, to me, I would pay less for a splash top.

Instead of buying them, see if you can practice with someone with a dry-top. To me, reentry is the most important thing. Dry-top or splash top is next.
          Many years ago, I and some members organized self rescue events. If there is one, I will participate.

Regards,
          Joe

Comment

Excellent posts, Joe! It deserves to be stuck on the top by admin.

What kind of marine goop did you put on the feet? My dry suit is old and both feet either have either a pin hole in them or the seams are starting to go bad. After a long day my socks in both feet are damp if I'm walking in the water or dunking my feet a lot throughout the day. It's not even enough water to squeeze out any from the socks when I get done, but enough to make my feet chilly. It's not sweat either.
            Brian

Comment

I really appreciate your endurance in these practice sessions. One of the complications of Kayak fishing is how many lines, and entanglements we add as accessories. I think I saw pool noodles in the hull in your video. I pack the hull of my Angler with foam. I made a step out of PVC pipe on the line that you use to right your kayak, It fits the foot to use your body weight to turn your boat upright. Good to be reminded that cold water is dangerous.

Comment

Sounds like you're really pushing the limits, stay safe and keep sharing your insights!

Comment

Working...
                X