Lower Susquehanna Safe CFS Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Susquehanna Safe CFS Launches

Does anyone have knowledge of the lower Susquehanna (conowingo to Havre De Grace) safe CFS amounts for kayak fishing based on the launches? I thought there may have been a map or post that had it before, but I can’t search it. Mostly trying to plan launches for Lapidum vs the old Jean Robert’s area launch based on CFS vs shifting to another location if the flow is too high. I suspect it won’t matter for this Sunday regardless because of the rain forecast. Appreciate any input!
    J

I've had the exact same question lately. I've done a little bit of preliminary research but not finding much. I'd be very interested to hear others' input on this.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

https://snoflo.org/report/flow/maryl...oding%20events.

Comment

This is helpful. Do you have any information about what flow rates are safe for kayaking? A discharge number out of context is hard to interpret for someone not already familiar with the river.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I usually just call the hotline, but USGS also puts out info here https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitorin...owMedian=false . You can see the patterns in water flow (e.g., summer is usually around 7k - 40k). Hoping someone more familiar can chime in with launch specific CFS safe ranges. I primarily go out of Jean Robert’s where I think 30-40k has been fine. Tricky because of how wide the river is and the changes in topography as you move up.
          J

Comment

Does anyone know of places you can launch a fishing kayak and obviously park your car / trailer on the East side of the Susquehana Flats. I noted that's there a beach and car park in Elk Neck State Park. However I was told that this closed until late May 2024 due to major construction works at the site or on the road to the site. So that's out. I was also told that Rogues harbor is available. However, that's 5 miles in a pedal kayak around Turkey Point. Another spot I was told is North East Community Park, some 6.5 miles in a pedal kayak. Looking for something in that East Beach area and thought I'd ask.

Regards

Comment

The flow from the Conowingo dam matters less the further away you are fishing it. I launch out of Lapidum frequently and I will fish at up to 50,000 CFS and it is fish-able about up to the Rock Run Mill is though it is a little bit tough to hold your position. Further down it won't be much of an issue since the flats expand out and there are not as many rocks that way to funnel the water and increase the flow in one spot (think rapids).

Along with the 1-800 you can also get a idea of the current flow and river height from the USGS site that is updated hourly https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?s...78310&legacy=1

Only other suggestion is you fish when the water is running always launch below the area you want to fish and work your way up against the current. That will make sure you can easily get back to the landing, not to mention it is fun ride back with the current.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

When I'm kayaking from the dam down to deer creek, I feel safest at one small, sometimes two. Anything under 7500cfs.
                Lapidum and south, it's not as much of a factor.
                Native Slayer 12
                Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post
                  The flow from the Conowingo dam matters less the further away you are fishing it. I launch out of Lapidum frequently and I will fish at up to 50,000 CFS and it is fish-able about up to the Rock Run Mill is though it is a little bit tough to hold your position. Further down it won't be much of an issue since the flats expand out and there are not as many rocks that way to funnel the water and increase the flow in one spot (think rapids).

Along with the 1-800 you can also get a idea of the current flow and river height from the USGS site that is updated hourly https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?s...78310&legacy=1

Only other suggestion is you fish when the water is running always launch below the area you want to fish and work your way up against the current. That will make sure you can easily get back to the landing, not to mention it is fun ride back with the current.
                  Thank you! This is very helpful. I try my best to go up current and then ride the flow back. I used to mostly launch out of Jean Roberts, so it was less of an issue as you mentioned. The other day I went up there when it was supposed to be at 79K CFS and it looked like white water.
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                    When I'm kayaking from the dam down to deer creek, I feel safest at one small, sometimes two. Anything under 7500cfs.
                    Lapidum and south, it's not as much of a factor.
                    Thank you - I appreciate the additional information for kayaking from the dam down to deer creek. I still haven't launched there. I've also wanted to do a float trip down Deer creek for a while, there's some good fishing in there.
                    J

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post

Very helpful information! I'm curious, is fishing around Lapidum during normal flow conditions doable with just a pedal drive, no motor? Or would one quickly wear themselves out "running the treadmill" against the current?
                      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

If you peddle or paddle away of the middle where the most of the current is there is not problem on a normal or above normal day

Comment

Working...
                        X