Florida kayak fishing adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida kayak fishing adventure

I returned home yesterday after spending 24 days on the road driving to Florida and fishing from kayaks on 19 of those days. I caught 135 fish of 28 species. A few of those fish are shown below.

I prepared a trip report with day-by-day descriptions of where I fished and what I saw and caught. Although the report covers many pages, there are quite a few photos making it an easy read. I hope you enjoy the story.

You can download the report from my Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MO...ew?usp=sharing

If that does not work, contact me at javeil09@gmail.com, and I can send the report by email.

Feel free to share the report with other interested persons.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice work. You're inspiring me to get down there some day.

Comment

Awesome report John, thanks for the report. It's been a few fosh-leaa months up here for me. I'm looking forward to the Spring!
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Cool photos John and really neat that you have been taking these trips the last few years. That baby tarpon is very neat.

That largemouth bass looks like a slob! What method did you catch that big guy on?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post

That largemouth bass looks like a slob! What method did you catch that big guy on?
          I was casting a white paddletail to the edges of a deep freshwater pond in the Everglades. I had no idea what the fish was until I actually got it next to the kayak. It was my largest bass ever.

John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great story about your trip, J! Thanks for sharing. On your first few days of fishing I was south of you on Gaspirilla Island fishing from my kayak. On three of the four days I fished, we caught more speckled trout than we could handle. We actually gave a fish fry for anyone in the motel where we were staying who wanted to eat. I was pleased to read about the unbothered seat cushions— while on the trip I left two Ugly Stick rods leaning on a ramp gate overnight. When I went back in the morning they were simply moved off to the side of the ramp.
            Enjoy your Spring and Summer fishing.
            Al “Magothyman”

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
              Great story about your trip, J! Thanks for sharing. On your first few days of fishing I was south of you on Gaspirilla Island fishing from my kayak. On three of the four days I fished, we caught more speckled trout than we could handle. We actually gave a fish fry for anyone in the motel where we were staying who wanted to eat. I was pleased to read about the unbothered seat cushions— while on the trip I left two Ugly Stick rods leaning on a ramp gate overnight. When I went back in the morning they were simply moved off to the side of the ramp.
              Enjoy your Spring and Summer fishing.
              Al “Magothyman”
              I'm glad you had good fishing farther south from Tampa. It was frustrating to be in normally productive spots and struggle to get even a few fish. Glad your rods were not taken. There are still some honest and caring people out there.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Great report John. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I always learn a thing or two when I read your reports.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                X