New Yakattack sand tire cart...may want to hold off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yakattack sand tire cart...may want to hold off

I have been waiting for a year for Yakattack to release sand tires for their carts. My previous cart, a C-tug, was never my favorite piece of equipment and didn't work at all except on hard surfaces. I love Yakattack's product line and was eager to get the Bunkster with sand tires. Unfortunately they may have rushed these things out without adequate QC. One of the tires won't snap into place because the hub is too shallow, making the cart unusable. And I can't get an answer out of Yakattack in over a week of trying--their only response was to ask me for proof of purchase instead of just shipping me a new tire so I have a working cart.

So if you're thinking about getting one, I wouldn't unless you can buy it in person and make sure it works. Their customer service has been terrible.

Only suggesting this because I've done this before on a different cart and haven't seen this particular one- any chance the wheel is directional? Like if the hub is offset it may be longer if you can remove the cap on the hub and flip the wheel around? Likely not, but figured id throw it out there.

-Justin

Comment

I love my Wilderness Systems cart with the beach wheels. Obviously, the downside is stowability, not sure if that is a concern for you.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I ended up leaving a review on their site of the defective tire hub and how the company would not respond to repeated emails and phone calls. They deleted the review but finally answered me after two weeks and shipped me a wheel, which works.

I know Wilderness makes great carts, but I fish a Lynx and with its flat bottom they tend to slide all over the place. I like the modularity of the Bunkster because space is at a premium in my car. Another issue to consider is it turns out you can't put the bunks into the widest position because it rubs against the tire. I cannot believe they didn't realize that was a problem in all their testing. It could still turn out to be a great product but there are some serious problems they need to address.

Comment

I bought the TowNStow cart from them and used it last season. That thing is an absolute tank. I just have the regular wheels so cant comment on the sand tire issues. Ive bounced that cart (w/kayak) over a ton of stuff that I wouldnt even consider going over with the C-Tug.

My only pseudo-complaint is the weight but you cant expect that level of ruggedness without a little weight gain.

Let me know how things work out with the sand tires. Im trying to lighten my inventory of carts for different needs. Would be nice if the sand tires are just an easy swap out vs a whole other cart.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
          X