Which Fish Grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Fish Grip?

I'm now using the plastic lip grip, but thinking about going with a metal grip. Ok, the bogagrip looks like the standard, but it's about $125 for the 30# model. I was looking at cheaper grips and found the following:

Evolution Econo Digi44 Fish Scale $40
    BPS Grip Master with Scale $33
    BPS Grip Master II $11 (has no scale)
    Berkley Digital Lip Grip Scale $50
    Rapala Lock n Grip with Scale $55

Anyone try these cheaper models? Any good? Or should I just get the boga?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I have a different Berkley grip, and a fish can twist out of it if you set the grip down. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want in a lip gripper. I can't tell if the one you mentioned has the same mechanism, but I would be leery.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Austin kayak has 20 percent off coupons that work on the boga.

They really are worth the price. I had others that broke within a year or
      2. The boga has been solid.

Comment

Here is the best floating no-slip fishing grip you will ever need (snakehead only): http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-05-14-07.html

Of course this look like a cool product (floating fish grip scale): Instructions - http://www.sitedesigntech.com/XTOOLS...structions.htm

Last edited by dDreadnaught; 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM.
        ------------------ ,__
        ------------------ | `'.
        __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
        \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
        -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
        - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
        -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
        /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
        -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
        ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
        -------------------- \` .'/
        --------------------- '--'

Comment

Originally posted by dDreadnaught View Post
          Here is the best floating no-slip fishing grip you will ever need (snakehead only): http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-05-14-07.html

Of course this look like a cool product (floating fish grip scale): Instructions - http://www.sitedesigntech.com/XTOOLS...structions.htm

Never saw these products before. Cool. That fish grip for snakehead looks like a good idea. I could probably make one, DIY. Hmmm.. the scale is cheaper than the boga. Wonder if it's as durable and holds fish as well as the boga.

Comment

I would also like to find an easy to use cheaper fish grip that does not harm fish. I see guys using the plastic grips but it seems they might be rough on the fish

Then there are snake heads, they deserve rougher handling.........here's a better Snakehead fish grip

or maybe this one ("seal bomb" waterproof m-80)
            Last edited by kevinfry; 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Jeff Little landed that 40" Snakehead with the plastic grip and it snapped it in half!
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

That's a serious fish grip for snakehead, Kevin.....but it doesn't have a scale...lol

I've used the plastic lip grip, but it doesn't hold all that well on "semi-tame" fish. I can imagine it's no good for snakehead. That's why I'm looking for a better one. That grip with a hook sounds like it may be the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by dDreadnaught View Post

I used to like X-tools products. I had a pair of their needlenose pliers. Then one handle of the pliers snapped because of plastic construction. They were a few months out of warranty, so I got no coverage.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Bass Pro Grip

I have a Bass Pro version of the Boga, but it does not have the scale. I think it was around $10. The jaws to it are metal. They held my snakehead fine. But Jeff's snakehead was about twice the size. The next one I catch I'm going to skip the gill cutting and instead go for breaking the spine at the base of the skull. The problem with the gill cutting is that they breath air through an air chamber, so cutting the gills doesn't take care of them completely.

Comment

Working...
                    X