“invisible” braid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “invisible” braid

I have been using braid that is not classified as (near) invisible with a fluorocarbon leader.
    Well I lost a large fish today because my Albright knot didn’t hold to the braid. There could be a few reasons for that. But that right now isn’t my concern.
    To anyone who uses Invisibraid or a similar braided line do you still use a fluorocarbon leader? I don’t mind using the leader but today it failed me. I have a few ideas why it failed but that could be a conversation that I’m not terribly interested in right now.
    So what are your thoughts on in invisibraid? I’m only fishing freshwater out here in western MD. Some water is clear and others are dark due to tannin.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

I don't know that I've had any exposure to that brand but I have tried a ton of different brands and colors and never really noticed much difference from a catching perspective. If fish are line shy, lengthen your flouro leader (especially in freshwater). If you're saying the knot strength wasn't great then I have had issues with some of the newer braid that seems to have a coating on it? Nanofil was the worst for this and had bad knot strength / would slip under pressure. Ultimately what worked for me was adding additional wraps to whatever knot I was tying (12 vs 8 on a uni or 15 vs 10 on an albright, etc) and that seemed to help until I could replace with something else.
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Always thought braid to flouro was a no no. As the above mentioned most braid line has a coating on it which causes slippage.

Comment

Ive never had an issue with braid to flouro. I've had a few issues with rushed, poorly tied FG knots giving way, but Im more to blame on those. My general rule of thumb when using braid is if a knot calls for a certain number of twists or wraps, Ill always go about 50% above the recommended number.

In regards to the original question posted, I dont have any experience with invisibraid. If Im being completely honest, I never had issues with using no leader at all.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I only use flouro to braid (Sufix 832). I occasionally had a slip with the Alberto Knot, but have never had a single FG knot fail once. 18 turns, half hitch to lock, pull *hard* to force the braid to bite into the leader, then finish with another 7 or so half-hitches. An Albright is a poor knot for that combo.

Comment

I've never used invisibraid. I've caught a thousand fish (probably more) on bright yellow braid without a fluorocarbon leader, so I'm sure you will be fine with straight invisibraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigsup View Post
              Always thought braid to flouro was a no no. As the above mentioned most braid line has a coating on it which causes slippage.
              I have never had a problem with braid to fluoro in all the years I have used it. This one time was possibly due to the drag being set incorrectly. (I was probably daydreaming when I hooked the fish ). I was wondering if the invisibraid is so “invisible” if I would need to use a leader. I have continued to use a leader.

Regardless of which knot I use for connecting the leader I do more twists than called for. Better too strong than not strong enough.

There is one pretty hefty LMB in this pond. I’ve never had one fight so hard before. I’ve gone back a few times and caught nice size but smaller LMB. This pond has very few people fishing it. Each time I’ve gone no one else is there. It’s on private property for which I have permission.

It’s a bit of a hike to get a kayak back there so I’m bank fishing. I may attempt to get my NRS inflatable kayak there next year. I’m also bank fishing due to having had surgery earlier this year. No kayaking until next year. I’m ok with that as I don’t want to undo the surgery on my rotator cuff. A 90% tear is no joke.
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)
              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
              X