New kayak angler advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kayak angler advice needed

Hi. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. So I am new to kayak angling and need advice on buying a kayak. I've done like a years worth of research, reading forums, videos, dealers and now I'm just paralyzed. Hoping that maybe someone can help steer me in the right direction.

So, I live at the top of the Chesapeake bay in north east, 100 yrs from the water. Most of my fishing will be done on the susky flats and north of there. Ideally, my dream boat would hobie pro angler but for couple of reasons ($ and family) not an option right now. Ive narrowed my choices down to either a native watercraft ultimate 14.5 tandem angler or Jackson kayak big tuna. Basically with 2 teenage boys and a wife I need a boat that will allow me to go solo fishing or bring one of the kids or wife with me. both are right in my price range ($1500 or less), both come outfitted fairly well so they are ready to go without a ton of outfitting (although I am sure I'll be adding a fishfinder/gps and a bunch of other stuff as time goes on). My big problem is trying to decide which is the better boat for my area.

My concern is really the native is basically a hybrid kayak/canoe while the big tuna is a standard sit on top. Not sure which is the better hull type to have here. So, my request is for some advice from anyone familiar with the area and what they would recommend.

Thanks so much!

i have a keowee 3 sit in and was very happy with it. i think a sit in is more likely to have a higher initial stability because your weight is positioned lower in the boat.

everything was fine until i started taking it on fishing trips to more open water. especially after driving an hour or two, i felt compelled to go out, even in fairly windier cond's than i had expected or wanted. one time, i put myself in a situation where every once in awhile, i would get a good splash over the bow and a little water in the boat. i realized that if continued in the direction i was going, into deteriorating conditions, i would eventually start taking bigger splashes and eventually might sort of dip my bow into a chop.

it occurred to me that if i took a wave, i'd be sitting a little lower and would be even more likely to take a 2nd wave in short order. with the gear i had on board, i might actually sink and lose the boat!

closer to home in shallow waters, i tested swamping it. it loses all stability when there's a lot of water in the hull and cannot reasonably be sat in or paddled like that because it becomes so tippy. if it got swamped, i would probly tip over or have to get out, in order to bail it out before moving on again. but if it's so choppy that i got swamped in the first place,....

i've switched to a sit on top (hobie outback). it's very wide and plenty stable, and rides high enough that i don't have wet butt. i still have and use the sit-in on occasion since it's a tandem and very stable boat for flat water.

in your location, you may not have to worry about excess choppy conditions, but that was my experience and why i prefer SOT.

welcome to the board! my wishes for safe and fun kayak-fishing to you and your family. look forward to seeing a report!!
    Last edited by Southerly; 05-05-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

What kind of fishing are you looking to do? If you are looking for largemouth around the edges and don't plan on going too far, either option will do. If you are thinking about actually getting onto the flats, I would NOT do it in a sit inside. It can start to get a little rough out there. And if you really want to venture around, maybe trying to go up towards Lapidum with more moving water or are looking to get deeper on the flats I would highly recommend one of the pedal versions. I've got an Outback as well. Without the pedal mechanism it is hard to fight the current and wind out there. I fish the susky area more frequently than any other area and quite frankly, I don't think I could fish it effectively without the pedals for many reasons.

My starter yak was just a simple sit inside that was fine for protected areas and lakes, but I would never take it out in the susky area. I'd be scared to death. I feel very safe in my Hobie which has seen some rough conditions. I know this wasn't exactly an option you were looking at but those of us with Hobie can't really imagine doing it another way anymore You could pick up a used Outback or Revo with some options for $1500.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Your $1500 budget could buy you a used Mirage Drive Hobie Revolution or Outback- something to consider-

If you are going to get the hull wet in salt water- I would strongly advise against a sit inside kayak. No matter how calm it is when you launch, things can change quickly on the Bay and it can get really choppy quickly- I know I launched in Stockton, MD a couple of weeks ago in the Chincoteague Bay shallow waters flounder fishing- I got a mile and a half from the launch and a big gust of wind hit me- it never stopped blowing- 30-40 mph out of nowhere- in minutes I was in a mixer bowl of waves and chop- I was taking water over the bow and sides constantly- the wind blown foam was like what the firefighters use to put out fires- I would have sunk a sit in inside kayak- no way it would not have filled up with water. and swimming in heavy surf a mile and a half would have been life threatening.

I don't have an opinion on your two choices- my experience is you like what you buy- there are a couple of well known and highly respected old standbys- Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayaks to name a couple-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Here is a different point of view. I bought my first sit-on-top kayak 11 years ago. I enjoyed it so much that I bought a second kayak -- a tandem -- so my wife and daughter could join me. They went once and never wanted to go again. The tandem was not easy to handle by myself, so I ended up selling it. For your $1500 budget you could by two single sit-on-top kayaks (low quality new or better quality used) that would allow another family member to join you when desired but would give you a good and safe platform when you are by yourself.

The Native Ultimate is a good boat with many desirable features, but others have raised legitimate concerns about the lack of self-draining capability. A few weeks ago, I booked two guided kayak fishing trips in Florida. One of the guides was going to put me into an Ultimate. His website made a big deal about the fact that he used a battery powered bilge pump on each of the Ultimates that he provided for his customers. That particular trip was cancelled because of bad weather and I never actually saw his kayaks, but I repeat the story to show how apparent shortcomings can be overcome with so relatively minor modifications.

There are often used kayaks fully rigged for fishing that are offered through this website at affordable prices. You can also find kayaks on Craigs List or through kayak dealers in your area.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

dham,

Have you tried out any kayaks yet (demo)? Tried fishing out of a kayak? It maybe a little akward for two people to fish from one yak. Maintaning boat position takes practice and patients plus all those hooks flying around so close to each other.

How often would one of your family members join you fishing?

Would your boys prefer to paddle their own kayak? I have a 15 year old daughter that asks to go fishing every now and then. I barrow one of my neighbors sit-in kayaks and let her use my sit-on-top. She enjoys being in her own kayak.

Have you considered two kayaks instead of tandum (unless your wife does not want to be in separate yaks)?

I own a Heritage Redfish 12. It is a sit-on-top similar to a the Wilderness Kayaks. It is around 65 pounds, but a very sturdy yak. I find the sit-in yaks are not a strudy as sit-on-tops. My yak takes a beating getting it in and out of some areas. Jackson kayak Big Tuna looks like a neat yak. I don't think you can go wrong with a sit-on-top. The tandam seating looks cool, just not sold on being so close together sligging hooks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I live in the Elkton/North East area. I fish the North East River, Elk River, Susquehanna Flats, Susquehanna River and tributaries.

The North East River is a great place to fish and you can launch at the North East Community Park. I launch there at least 3 times a week in the summer. This area is not rough water like the flats can be. If the wind picks up you can paddle up into North East Creek and still land some nice largemouth (especially in the heat of summer). In September and October the striped bass are everywhere chacing bountiful baitfish.

The head of the Elk River can be a great place to kayak, but the fishing is not as good (at least I have a hard time locating fish).

I love the flats for spring striped bass and fall for the same reason, but the flats can be subject to high winds and very choppy conditions. Largemouth fishing is good here as well. I launch out of Perryville Community Park and Tyding Boat Ramp. Sit-on-top is best here. Large area a paddle drive would be nice but not necessary. I do it the old fashion way.

The fishing at the base of the Conowingo Dam is pretty good. I have not been disappointed with the smallmouth, largemouth, and aggressive catfish. I launch in Octoraro Creek which holds good size largemouth and smallmouth. It is very shallow at the dam and drag bottom often. It is best to call the hotline to find out the discharge schedule. When the dam is discharging I sneak back to the mouth of Octoraro Creek. First time I launch in Octoraro Creek I landed a 15" rainbow trout. This area requires you to cart a kayak back to the launch site.

I have not fished the river between Lapidum boat ramp and Port Deposit. I have heard the smallmouth and largemouth fishing is great, but it is best to do a float which requires fishing with a buddy and two vehicles. As Yak Fish stated the current is harder to deal with unless you do a day float down river.

Last edited by dDreadnaught; 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM.
            ------------------ ,__
            ------------------ | `'.
            __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
            \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
            -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
            - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
            -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
            /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
            -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
            ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
            -------------------- \` .'/
            --------------------- '--'

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. Everything so far is pushing me towards the Jackson.

My house is right across from north east park and the community has its own launch (which should tell you exactly where I live if you know the area) so most of my fishing is going to be north east creek and south towards perryville. I suspect it would be too far to launch here and paddle down to the flats, so I'd guess I'd throw the yak on my car and launch closer to the flats when I want to fish there. I figure 30 percent of the time fishing on the flats.

My original plan was to buy the hobie revo 11 and a couple of cheap sit on tops for the boys. Figure I could always tow them now and then. But, like I said, an expensive option and I don't have a lot of storage area for the yaks.

Also been looking for a used hobie but apparently this is like finding a unicorn.

Since this is my first yak, I'm kind of trying to find the right balance here - a good fishing boat that can also be used to tool around with the wife and/or kids. I am guessing that I will eventually buy another yak - probably the revo.

So Far sounds like the ultimate would not be the best option for me.

Anyone else have ideas?

Comment

Finding a used Hobies this time of year is pretty much like trying to find a unicorn- but in the fall /winter it isn't. We usually have three of four listed each year...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I am hoping to fish the flats a little more this year. The summer submerged vegitation can be frustrating (very thick). I am going to try out in the flats farther and closer to Havre de Grace. I plan on hitting the flats for rockfish when it opens back up on 16 May.

North East River is awesome. Quality size largemouth. Only problem is all the fishing pressure. But the tournaments restock the area. Fall fishing is the best with all the rockfish and largemouth chasing baitfish.

Give me a shout if you want to get together and fish sometime. I live within 7-8 minute of you, off Old Field Point Road.

Saw a couple of videos of the new Jackson Big Tuna (looks sweet).

------------------ ,__
                  ------------------ | `'.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am going to go with a hobie outfitter (at least to start) - I found the unicorn today (so my budget may let me get another boat later this summer). Should have it here may 19, so anytime you want to go out on the NE river, just ping me

Comment

I would always say separate boats in kayaks for fishing.

These are basically the old molds for the Tarpon 120's. Even if you buy a Hobie, Native or something else for yourself. This would be a great add on for the wife, teenagers or whom else might tag a along once in a while. You could buy 2 for $1200 and cheap paddles and PFD's can get you out for under $1500.
                      Perception Sport Pescador 12.0 Kayak
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                        I believe West Marine sells the Perception Sport Pescador 12 and you can have it delivered to the North East store for free. The Pescador 12 is almost identical to my Heritage Redfish 12.

West Marine - CONFLUENCE WATERSPORTS Pescador Sit-on-Top Kayak

West Marine also sells kayak flush mount pole holders. They are very easy to install.

Last edited by dDreadnaught; 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM.
                        ------------------ ,__
                        ------------------ | `'.