New Kayak Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak Angler

Good afternoon all. Just received a SOT fishing kayak last weekend as a gift from my wife. Now, looking to hit some good spots. I live in Indian Head, not far from Mattawoman Creek where I plan on starting off my kayak fishing adventure. Eventually, I'd like to venture out to where the Rockfish are at.

Anyone know of any good spots in SoMD to put in for Rockfish or will I have to drive out to the eastern shore for all the good spots?

Happy kayaking!
    Jeff B
    Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Last week

My buddy said they were hitting last week along greenway flats just north of pomonkey buts it's a spotty proposition on the Potomac and none of the were legal +28".

I've fished Matt quite a bit and am in my first season yak fishing also.
    2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Welcome!! There are some good launches for Stripers in St. Mary's County. Point Lookout and Buzz's MArina

Comment

Mattawoman

The upper end of Mattawoman seems to be a great place to kayak fish. I wish I lived closer to it. You'll have a great time. Make sure to bring a net and a knife to take care of the snakeheads you're going to catch.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I am definitely looking forward to getting out there and putting the kayak to use! Hopefully I can learn a lot from this forum.

What do most people have for kayaks? I have a perception sport castor 12.5. Hopefully once I get comfortable in it I can take it out in the bay. I haven't done any modifications yet. What are some simple and easy mods to do?
            Jeff B

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
              Thanks for all the info! I am definitely looking forward to getting out there and putting the kayak to use! Hopefully I can learn a lot from this forum.

What do most people have for kayaks? I have a perception sport castor 12.5. Hopefully once I get comfortable in it I can take it out in the bay. I haven't done any modifications yet. What are some simple and easy mods to do?
              Most people add stuff like rigging in the back to hold a milk crate or other storage. They also mount on additional rod holders, gps, fish finders, trolleys for anchors etc

Check out the boatyard section of this forum for ideas of what people are doing.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Piney Point in St. Mary's is one of my favorite spots. I've had more luck there than at PLO over the past three years. There are places to catch stripers, spot, croaker, perch, and the occasional flounder all within a relatively short paddle. The topwater striper action was sub-par last year, but I'm hoping it was an anomaly. The previous two to three years were really good.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Launching at Aqualand and going over to Cedar Point or the WW Discharge or even at the bridge pilings can put you on some nice Stripers.

Comment

Welcome, aboard. You should try to make one of our Meet and Greets on the second Sat of every month, either to fish or hang out afterwards for food and drinks and fish talk. Actually, we have a Meet and Greet this Sat. The weather is looking great and Na_Sayer offered his yard to have the food and drinks. You should and any new kayaker should get to see many rigged and model kayaks.

Comment

Come to the meet and greet and we'l tell ya ......... just kiddin ..... welcome aboard

........ oh ... and forget the stripers ....... ya have snakeheads in your back yard ......... better fighting and better tasting ....... or so I'm told

Comment

I can't make it this saturday being mothers day weekend and all, but I a will definitely try and make the next meet and greet.

Do snakeheads really fight better than a striper? Any chance I could get a snakehead on a fly rod?
                        Jeff B

Comment

If you want a snakehead on a fly I would try and weedless streamer to hair frog in weedless. Something along that line and go down and fish the lilly pads in your back yard at Mattawoman. If you don't catch ay snakeheads you might at least come up with some largemouths, crappies or perch.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
                          X