OC vaca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC vaca

Heading over to Ocean City next week for a few days. I don't think I'll be taking the yak. But I wouldn't mind trying some surf fishing. It would be my first time fishing in OC or on any beach. Any suggestions as to what I should bring or around where I should fish? Can you just pick a spot on the beach? I'll be on 24th so I'm sure I'd have to move a little further north to avoid reeling in a person.
    Ascend A10

This is PRIME time for big stripers from the surf 30"+ are common. most nice fish in the surf in OC are caught above 100th st because the beach is flat towards the lower streets. You can def catch em on the lower streets though. You can swing by Oyster Bay Tackle on 116th street and they will have everything you need. Assateague Tackle Company makes a Striper/Drum rig which is just a 7/0 - 10/0 circle hook snelled on a short 4-8 inch leader of heavy mono. put a swivel on the other end. I tie my own up, but ATC makes the highest quality rigs ive seen. Attach to line and use a fish finder rig to attach weight. Fresh bunker is used for bait often, but sand fleas (sand crabs that little kids dig on the beach YOU CAN DIG EM TOO) have been working well lately.

Bring long rods 8 ft+ (I use 9' and 10') sand spikes to hold rods (NEVER SET DOWN IN SAND), cutting board, knife, sinkers, rod lights if fishing at night, a chair, and plenty of patience!!

Tight Lines
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Awesome I'll be sure to check out that tackle shop! I have been doing a little research and I see people use shock leaders. Is this necessary? Also I have a huge spool of 30lb braided and 50lb mono leader. I'm seeing lots of people using using 80lb leader and 50lb main line. Is this really necessary? It seems like overkill. I have a very nice saltwater penn battle reel. Seems like I could def set the drag to compensate for a lower test line.
      Ascend A10

Comment

I used to do a lot of surf fishing down in Va Beach...we used to bring a cast net and a bucket to catch live bait in the surf...and I agree...sand spikes are a must, also 2-4oz triangle weights are helpful to hold your line if there is a current..just my .02!
        Jeff B
        Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Originally posted by Splitscreen View Post
          Awesome I'll be sure to check out that tackle shop! I have been doing a little research and I see people use shock leaders. Is this necessary? Also I have a huge spool of 30lb braided and 50lb mono leader. I'm seeing lots of people using using 80lb leader and 50lb main line. Is this really necessary? It seems like overkill. I have a very nice saltwater penn battle reel. Seems like I could def set the drag to compensate for a lower test line.
          Splitscreen:

I would strongly suggest the use of shock leaders for several reasons:

1. When casting a heavy load like 8oz/bait you put a tremendous amount of force on your line. The heavier mono leader helps ensure that you do not break off and send your weight flying dangerously at someone. Depending on wind, current, and tide you may or may not be able to get away with using 6oz.

2. Even when using braided line of 50lb test or more, braid has a tendency to break off due to abrasion, trust me. Braid is not very abrasion resistant and when fishing in the surf your main line does rub quite a bit on shells, sand, etc. Using a mono shock leader of 50lb or more wrapped around your spool 5 times or more ensures you don't break off.

3. Mono leaders really help when you are landing a fish, much easier on your hands then landing with straight braided line.

Look to fish early in the morning or as dusk sets in. That will increase your chances 10 fold.

Good luck to you.

Minh

Comment

+2 on the shock leader, it will save you countless rigs from snap-offs on cast. as for line rating, I caught a 44 incher on 20 lb mono, so anything will work as long as you have a shock leader.
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Owwee!! I'd be afraid that the braid would slice my finger on a cast of a heavy weight!
              I'm spooled with 20# mono, to 80# Momoi (nice and supple) shock leader.

X2 on Oyster Bay, and they've got some good links on their site too.

Comment

Originally posted by kaya king View Post
                Owwee!! I'd be afraid that the braid would slice my finger on a cast of a heavy weight!
                I'm spooled with 20# mono, to 80# Momoi (nice and supple) shock leader.

X2 on Oyster Bay, and they've got some good links on their site too.
                You can use braid on a spinner so long as you wrap the mono leader around your spool 5-6 times thus giving you the heavy mono to protect your finger. This is my preferred setup on my Stella and Saragosa spinner setups. Braid has zero stretch so you are one with the fish. The fight is great on braided line.

My five other surf setups are conventional and only use 17lb mono running line with 50lb leader, again wrapped 5-6 times around the spool.

Just my .02 cents. Good luck to you

Comment

I also have my shock leader wrapped around my spools 3-4 turns. I use all spinning gear as of right now. The "shock" leader is usually mono because the mono stretches and absorbs a lot of the shock. This also helps with keeping your soft baits ie clam or old/frozen bunker on the hook during casts.

I connect the braid to mono leader with a Sebile knot, havent had any slips yet.(knock on wood why did i say that!)

As for my mono rod I connect the mono main line to the shock leader with a modified alberto knot. I have had this slip when I was first tying.

Both knots are very slim and run through the guides very nicely.

Check my report in the waters beyond section!
                  -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Working...
                  X