I finally found good Croaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally found good Croaker

Headed down to Point Lookout, but on the way a fellow yakker called and told me that PLO was dry. He and people on shore were all going home with empty ice chests. A bit disappointed, but I decided to go anyway cause I was already headed down anyhow.

Arrived and was planning to fish the south side of the pier by the swimming buoy, but for some reason the 15-16' depth left me feeling a bit not content. I paddled back to the north side in front of the pet beach in about 18 - 19' of water at full tide, but during my whole time paddling my fish finder was silent and I was just prepared for disappointment. I anchored down and casted out nearly 4" of blood worm just for the hell of it and started taking pictures of the sunset. I thought I had a skate or baby rock, but it was pulling real good.

First fish... 16-17" croaker. First legit fish on my Kayak so I got excited. Plenty more came soon after. I had 2 doubles on the one rod that I had 2 hooks on. It was an amazing feeling to see that again. Havn't had a double in years.

Bloodworms and shrimp were the choice baits. (bloodworms = quantity, shrimp = big size).

Sorry for the long write. A bit delirious but still with a smile as I am dozing off writing this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...73853380_n.jpg

The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Nice mess of good eating fish- Happy Mother's Day all-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Way to go buddy! It is always good to never let other folks lack of success to change your plans!
      Evening and croaker go hand in hand
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ditto. Just because people don't catch fish, it doesn't mean you're not going catch fish. WTG on your determination. Nice size croakers. Congrats!
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Congrats on the catch!

Where did you launch from? How is it yaking there at night? How did you avoid getting hit from shore and pier fishermen?
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
            Congrats on the catch!

Where did you launch from? How is it yaking there at night? How did you avoid getting hit from shore and pier fishermen?
            18 ft of water is way way out from where shore fisherman could cast there.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
              Congrats on the catch!

I couldn't hear anyone on the pier or on the shore. I didn't hear their rigs hitting the water at all either. It was a calm night so I should have heard something if I was too close. I would say I would have had to be at least a quarter mile away from the pier and about .3 or .4 miles out from the shore.

Make sure you have plenty of night. I have a yak visipole 360 degree pole (required by law I believe) I have a little lantern (serves great as a spotlight because you can adjust the light to be angle towards your rods) that has a strobe function in case I need to catch boaters attention. I also have a head lamp (forgot it this night though) that is really helpful when bringing fish in and baiting your hook and this too in fact has a strobe function that will add to getting the boaters attention.
              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

I hate you

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
                  I hate you
                  I'll save face for Kuljc. He is in Europe but he is jealous of me. Not sure if I am honored or if I don't understand him really. haha. He is a friend just acting up haha.

Comment

I saw you launching as we were getting off the water.. We fished from 4 to 7 pm saturday evening in the same general area without so much as a tug.. I guess we should of waited it out a bit longer..

Only fish for me all weekend was a pair of 13" croaker i caught Friday night on an oyster bed in 15' of water with a gulp jigging..

Glad you found em.

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Mmm.. I love hardheads!!

Congrats on a great night!

Comment

Nice

I can't wait to try some of these areas. So new to all of this, I've got to get a grip on all the bait, rigging, etc. nice fish.
                        2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Man you make me want to do some night fishing on Friday for some croakers. Good job on locating them. I only got one croaker 3 weeks ago at Bushwood, and that was it for croakers.

Comment

Those are the best trips when the odds are against you, and you still find a way to bring them in! Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalPA View Post
                              I can't wait to try some of these areas. So new to all of this, I've got to get a grip on all the bait, rigging, etc. nice fish.
                              I stopped using the regular mono leader hooks that are sold in packs at the store cause they break after a few. I make my own rigs. If you want to see my rigs PM me and I'll message it to you.

What I have found was that even with (I believe they are mustad) mustad hooks and wire leaders hard hitting croakers started to unbend my hook. You can only imagine how well the mono leader (eagle claw, bear paw) packs would hold up. I have also found that single hook rigs leaves you with less to worry about tangling up the leader as the fish is coming it. I must admit thought... catching 2 14" plus size croakers twice was quite fun haha.

I will probably be out at PLO again this weekend if you want to meet up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X