Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned from my swim in the bay today

First a little about me.
    I'm pushing 61, have arthritis in all my joints and lower disks. While I meet the criteria for being a person with a disability, I don't let it stop me. I try to work out every day on weights and an elliptical as much as the pain allows me to. I have sailed and motored up and down the US coast and am trained in sea survival.

Initially I stayed with the yak and tried to flag down help. No one responded to my waving or paddle waiving or whistle. After fifteen minutes, I decided to swim for shore as I did not want to stay in the water and lose body heat. In larger body of water, I would not have left the boat.

Here are some good things about this morning.

I elected to move the yak to a more protected area before playing around. I would never have attempted to do any work in the middle of the Bay or even in the middle of the river.

I didn't panic, but still experienced the instant chill, instant inhaling and rapid heartbeat that accompanies anytime you fall into cold water.

I had my VHF radio (water proof) and Cell phone (in a water proof bag) in my vest. The radio is a must on the water as cell phone reception can be iffy even in the CB. If I was in duress, I would have called for help on channel 16.

Here are some bad things.

When I decided to play with the transducer , I should have stowed my gear properly. In hind sight, I should have left it and fixed it back at the beach.

When I bought my new fishing yak, I also bought a paddle float. From my previous recreational kayak days, I felt this was a necessity. I bought the foam type and not the inflatable type because you don't have to blow them up and they give more buoyancy in my opinion. However, it might have been made out of lead for all the good it did me as I left it at home.

I didn't have a flare pistol. On my boats, I have always had a complete SOLAS flare complement. I have only had to use them once but they are worth the money. While too big for keeping in my vest, I am planning to buy a small twelve gauge launcher which will fit inside my vest. At least three boats would have seen my flare if I shot it at them but they didn't see my waves or whistle.

Anyway, the gear wasn't expensive as I don't buy expensive light tackle anymore. Just Cabela's or Bass Pro items on sale. But it was an eye opener for me, a person who when more fit was able to self rescue, cannot do it easily today. I plan to practice self rescue at Jonas Green as soon as I get a new anchor. For you older guys who haven't practiced self rescue in a while, you may want to see if you can still do it as easy as you have when you were younger.

Regards,

John

Today, the water temp was sixty two degrees according to the thermometer in my VHF radio. Since I am no longer young and d
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Surely others reading your ordeal will learn from this experience just as you have. When the water warms up, I'd be willing to come practice self rescue at Jonas.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good to find out all of that info early! As far as flares go I have pen flares I take out on bigger water. Much more convenient on a yak that normal flares.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com...lare_guns.html
      www.anglerswithoutborders.com
      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I'm purchasing my firs yak this week and I will be practicing self rescue also....I'd love to come out when u guys go out....it would be great to learn from veteran kayakers...

Comment

John,
          I got turtled often. I am so used to it. I am pushing 59. I am right behind you.
          Here are some of my rules that you didn’t put:
          • Leash the paddle – This is the most important if your kayak is not a Hobie. If you lose the paddle, you will be drifting, not paddling
          • Leash a whistle on the PFD – The best way for getting attention
          • I leash everything including myself especially in 3' wave or when the sail is up

Here are some of videos of unintended swimming:

You will see How much I practed self-rescue on this video:

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Hi Joe,

I do have a paddle leash and normally have my rods and anchor bag bungeed down. I agree, if you lose your paddle, you are toast. The people I know who do recreational tours in big water carry a spare paddle.

As to the whistle, I have one on my vest and used it to no avail. I believe noise from the boat motors made it impossible to hear. That is why I am adding a flare launcher. I never thought I would need one on the river but I sure could have used one yesterday.

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Sorry to hear about the turtle but glad to hear you're OK. I've pulled some dumb stunts but have been lucky so far. Each time I thought afterwards, "why didn't I just do that on shore instead?"
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

While you guys with hobie's have a width/stability, I would think that, if you were kneeling and got hit with a wake you didn't see coming, you might also go for a swim.

I pulled into a shallow cove thinking I was less likely to get hit with a wake. I stand corrected.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

ah Joe i remember that day, breezy point wind from the SE and realy snotty going through the shoals to the green can but it calmed down in deeper water. i really like your idea of a coil of string(cord) to teather yourself to the yak, in a windy condition the yak will move a lot faster than an guy in the water.

Comment

John,

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

About a year ago, I installed a "standnfish" on my Hobie Outback. And, while I don't always use the "stand," I always have the pontoons out. They afford me unbelievable stability and peace of mind.

Moreover, it's very easy to install and easy to put on and take off the yak at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
                    X