Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know about this Belle Haven situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about this Belle Haven situation?

Anyone else heard about this or have any comments? I downloaded the pdf linked below and will read it over later this week. Threats to access concern me. Look what happened at CHOPAWAMSIC Cr last year though that was for a different reason though still unacceptable.

--------------------- copied from email --------------------------------

I don't often get my fishing friends involved in issues, but this one is different. The biggest issue in fishing today is access! The National Park Service owns Belle Haven Marina and for those who have been there, it is obvious they have been trying to close it down for years. This is due to pressure from a bird watching group called Friends Of Dyke Marsh (FODM). They have been leaning on the NPS as well as sympathetic politicians for years to shut down the only access most have to the Potomac River. The NPS continues to throw money at two neighboring NPS facilities, Washington Sailing Marina and Columbia Island Marina…they were recently renovated from top to bottom even though they were in pristine condition compared to Belle Haven.

Belle Haven is not only direct access for boaters, canoes and kayaks, but they run one of the best sailing schools on the east coast. The location is perfect for sailing as the river is wider and the channel is far enough away to keep the sail boats out of harms way.

The NPS is opening up public comments on 4 Alternatives for “restoration” of the marsh. Tons of dredge were removed in the 1930s to fill the marshes to create the Pentagon and Reagan National Airport. This dredging allowed erosion to steal 270 acres from Dyke Marsh. I want to “preserve” the marsh. “Restoration” doesn't make physical or financial sense!

The Alternatives should focus on preserving what's left of the marsh with minimal restoration down the road. The alternatives other than "A" which does nothing, call for filling and choking off Belle Haven Cove and eventually the marina.

Please take a moment and read the Alternatives and MAKE A COMMENT! Spread this around and stay in touch!

To learn more about the 4 alternatives, click this link

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document...cumentID=47011

and download GWMP Dyke Marsh Alternative Concepts NewsletterGWMP Dyke Marsh Alternative Concepts Newsletter (1.4 MB, PDF file)

Thank you!

Steve

Captain Steve Chaconas/National Bass Guide Service/SEOPA/MDOWA
    2010 Hobie ProAngler

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This is close to my neighborhood. I drive by it everyday and feel very fortunate to have kayaked and fished that area on many occassions.

I'll be sure to send something in to the website and stress the importance of not restricting access for boaters (especially those without motors). I think its very clear that kayakers do a lot of environmental good for the waters we float on. The same thing goes for other boaters. Cutting off access to us is just convenient ignorance (or engineering laziness). I'm positive this project can be engineered in a manner that is inclusive of people. That area is truly a national treasure, and a rare place where you can see both the city and an abundace of wildlife coexist. There's no better way to bring back the Potomac and Bay then to have people see it and interact with it. The access points along GW parkway is Northern VA's front row seat to it all. If you took that away, you've just given them one more reason to not pay attention to those things that threaten to destroy it. Drawing people into the river is the best way you can get them to take action to protect it. As boaters/kayakers, I think we all understand how that process works.

Comment

Well said

Well said, I plan on doing the same.
      2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Working...
      X