OC Inlet Striper + 2012 species list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Inlet Striper + 2012 species list

Took the fam to ocean city for a day and got to fish early morning for a few hours. Never fished OC so thought I'd head to the "24 hour" oceanic pier at 5:00am for bait - closed - at this point I felt the effects of the beer the night before..uugh

So I decided to stay anyway and fish the inlet, not a soul was out there. Not having any bait and only a few lures I tried to think like a striper... Tide is ripping through, lots of rocks, rip rap and little whirlpools... bait pushed up on the shore...

Threw a 3/4oz white rattletrap down the rocky shore about 2-4ft off the rocks. 15 minutes later WHAM! Drag screams a few times then a solid thud and stuck - fish took me right into the rocks. I opened the bail and waited a long 15 seconds. Fish came out and the fight was back on.

Got it up onto the slippery rocks (head still a little fatigued from the strong EVO ales the night before), a quick measure and pic.

First 2012 Striper - just under 26" - gotta love the fight of a striper

This brings the 2012 species list to 13:
    Carp
    Largemouth Bass
    White Crappie
    Yellow Perch
    Chain Pickerel
    Hickory Shad
    White Perch
    Blue Catfish
    Channel Catfish
    Walleye
    Smallmouth Bass
    Northern Snakehead
    Striper
    Attached Files

Thanks for sharing, and glad you were able to catch something in OC.

The EVO beers are pretty good...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Awesome job on the fish. With a hangover too, nonetheless. Thats worth double.

EVO just opened a Public House here in Salisbury. Small plates for sharing and lots of craft beers (not just EVO). We ate there for the first time last week. If anyone is making their way down this summer it is definitely worth a visit.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Be careful on the jetty, especially if your not familiar with the area/current. Its not as bad as Indian River, but on an outgoing (especially by yourself) theress nothing to stop you from entering the Atlantic. People die at IRI every year, just be extra careful.

Nice catch though. Im guna hit the Rt 50 bridge soon
        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Nice. Good call on loosening the slack to let the fish unsnag you. I will keep that in mind next time it happens to me.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
          X