10lb braid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10lb braid question

Would 10lb braid work well on a MH rod for Mattawoman or should I go heavier?
    Jeff B
    Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Depends on the reel and how you'll be fishing. An MH would suggest you'll be casting into the weeds, in which case I'd go with 30Lb + to be able to pull fish outta there. Some bass fisherman will use 60Lb braid on their baitcasters. The cool thing about braid is that it's thin, pretty much however heavy you go. The only reason to go lighter, is if you need to spool a lot more line on your reel.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Okay great, thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll be going out and getting some heavier braided line! I am hoping to get my kayak out this weekend at some point out of Mattingly Park, hopefully I can avoid a skunk on my first time out!
      Jeff B

Comment

Targeting anything specific?

In case you're in danger of a skunk, drop a nightcrawler on a jighead in 12+ feet of water (you'll find some holes upcreek or just 30 yards downstream of the launch)... wait 20 minutes or less. It helps if you're anchored. If you're lucky enough to have some menhaden, stick a chunk on a big circle hook... even better than worms. You'll get a cat.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Not really targeting anything in specific...i have always fished for large and smallmouth bass... haven't had a lot of experience with catfish or snake head but i am definitely open to catching new fish!

I'll have to try that...once off the launch which direction should I head? I've only fished a couple of times down there and caught a couple of small largemouth.
          Jeff B

Comment

You can head either way... I usually head left (up creek). Less traffic.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I can get out this weekend at some point! Think there will be a lot of traffic from the FLW tour down my way?
              Jeff B

Comment

Heavier braid is definately better, I usually like 20, but 10 will probably work fine if you already have it and dont feel like going back out.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
                  Think there will be a lot of traffic from the FLW tour down my way?
                  Could be... but the farther upstream you go, the less there will be.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

I've been using 10# Fireline with 6'+ mono leader on a 2500 series Shimano spinning reel to pull lmbass out from heavy pads. Never had any problem. However, if there were biggie snakeheads or catfish in the area I think I'd switch up to 14# Fireline with 6'+ of 30 pound. For the most part it's the leader that takes a lot of the punishment from pad stems. Sometimes I'm casting fairly light weightless & weedless worms across the surface so the lighter braid comes in handy for distance. Just be sure to make a good leader to mono knot and replace the leader every trip or two or as needed.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I use 30# braid on a Abu Revo and a Shimano Curdao 200E7 when fishing for bass and snakeheads on Mattawoman Creek- Have a 15-20 pound snakehead hooked up wrapped around a bunch of lilly pads and you will wish for 65 pound braid-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I frequently fish something very similar to HJS on the Potomac (10lb fireline), however, since I usually don't fish the lilly pads, I don't always use a leader. This time of year I really like to fish spinner bait casting around structure instead of in it. When I do the spinnerbait, I like the 10# fireline for optimal sensitivity and very accurate and long casts. Yes, my hands were very cut up for about a year, but now I don't seem to get cut up us much with the fireline. Not sure if its because my hands are now leather or if I've just learned how to handle it better.

I've broken line on 10# fireline in the potomac before, but never on a bass. Just be sure to us a palomar knot and you should be fine if you are going for large mouth in the potomac. If you plan on going for snakehead or cats, you should definately use at least 16#. I use 20# when going for cats in the Potomac.

Comment

Never less than 12lb

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                          I've been using 10# Fireline with 6'+ mono leader on a 2500 series Shimano spinning reel to pull lmbass out from heavy pads. Never had any problem. However, if there were biggie snakeheads or catfish in the area I think I'd switch up to 14# Fireline with 6'+ of 30 pound. For the most part it's the leader that takes a lot of the punishment from pad stems. Sometimes I'm casting fairly light weightless & weedless worms across the surface so the lighter braid comes in handy for distance. Just be sure to make a good leader to mono knot and replace the leader every trip or two or as needed.
                          I use 17' FC as general purpose about 80% of the time I use 20' braid wit 17' FC leader in real clear water which normally isn't the Potomac. 60' braid when frogging or punching. I have 2 rods with 12' FC I use for swim baits since I'm not pulling them out of vegetation. I never use anything less as FC tends to snap due to its lack of stretch. I have even napped of lures casting before with FC. I switch to mono when working floating top water lures because it floats. Personally I would never use 10' FC. Maybe in cold water and no veg I would go to 8-10' mono, maybe.....
                          2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Working...
                          X