Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod, weight? Anyone up for this afternoon/evening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod, weight? Anyone up for this afternoon/evening?

I don't think I was getting down to the depth of the fish yesterday as at least two others near me were catching them on same spots i fished and one guy had a nice slot fish and +28" fish. From what I had read I was afraid that my jig heads were not heavy enough but I sure gave it a try!

What weight jigs should I be throwing? When they are deep on the pilings as apposed to the rocks, I understand 1-1 1/2 oz and in strong tides 2 oz? If so I will need a stiffer rod than my current ML; I used it with a 3/4 oz and it was like slinging a brick so I went back to 3/8 and 1/2 oz with poor results.

One thing about kayakers and to an extent salt water fisherman is that they will pull up with you on the water and discuss things. I did so with one boater and a kayaker yesterday and met two nice people. That would never happen on the tidal Potomac with LM bass fishermen.

At least the two I met were throwing the same type baits as me and I'm not way off the mark; just slightly discouraged.

Anyone up for another try on the BB around 2:30-3 p.m. today 5/17 Thur?
    2010 Hobie ProAngler

Animal,

I use a MH fast action rod and it seems to be enough. I have a 4000 series cabela's reel on it, and the setup seems to be very good for the pilings. Only thing I can say is that it seems a little heavy for fishing all day long while on a boat. this is my first year kayak fishing, so all of my knowledge is coming from fishing from boat, but the logic should be the same. I have found that 3/4 to 1 oz jigs have been helpful for just learning this technique and when I was out a few weekends ago, I had to use a 1oz the whole time due to the wind pushing me.

Just for reference, did you fish the East side pilings or the West?
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I suggest that you get a copy of Shawn Kimbro's book that came out last December. He devotes a lot of time to describing light tackle jigging.

I have tried to fish the pilings before with a ML rod -- as you discovered, that is not a optimal set up. M to MH rods will serve you better. You want the lightest jighead that will allow you to reach bottom. With the strong currents near the Bay Bridge, that often is at least 1 oz, and can be higher.

You will increase your learning curve by going out with a local guide for a day of LTJ fishing. Walleye Pete (and probably other guides) offer "walk-on" trips where you pay only for your share ($75 to $100) and don't have to worry about paying for the full charter.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

aminalPA - I've fished the BB from a big boat many times and almost always use a 6'6" MH rod with 10# to 14# Fireline, 20# leader. If big fish a known to be in the area then I switch to a H action 7' rod rigged with 14# Fireline. The jigs range from .5oz to 1oz, lures from 5" to 7" soft plastics. I've caught many nice stripers very near bottom at the rock piles, I'm talking mid/upper 20"s. That calls for the 1oz jigs, short casts with a rapid descent to the bottom. Sometimes during the late summer into fall a mix of schoolie stripers and smallish blues will start breaking around the rock piles and pylons for extended periods of time, good action then for low 20"s stripers and 10"-14" blues (nice frying size, good eats).

When fishing the shallower pylons near the ends of the BB then a .5oz jig is used rigged with 4"-5" bass assassins. BTW, if it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use. I prefer the chartreuse silver glitter.

So far I haven't ventured to the BB in my canoe with troller and I doubt I ever will, too risky. I know I won't be comfortable out there in water that big.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thanks

Ive been reading his web site, good stuff. Thanks for all the advice. I wanted to get a idea of what I needed prior to buying as I make that mistake too often. The guide is a good idea and one I've used in the past in other types of water. I'll have to look into doing so here also. thanks again.
          2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

West side

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
            Animal,

I use a MH fast action rod and it seems to be enough. I have a 4000 series cabela's reel on it, and the setup seems to be very good for the pilings. Only thing I can say is that it seems a little heavy for fishing all day long while on a boat. this is my first year kayak fishing, so all of my knowledge is coming from fishing from boat, but the logic should be the same. I have found that 3/4 to 1 oz jigs have been helpful for just learning this technique and when I was out a few weekends ago, I had to use a 1oz the whole time due to the wind pushing me.

Just for reference, did you fish the East side pilings or the West?
            I launched at SPSP and fished he west side from SPSP to the main channel where the far end of the western cables anchore to the rock pile; the span closest to the lower main bay. I fished the down current side of the pilings casting up current past my target and as close to pilings as possible.
            2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Working...
            X