Tandem Crankbait Trolling???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandem Crankbait Trolling???

I had a crazy idea guys and I'm wondering if anyone else has thought of it or is using the tactic. Lots of folks troll tandem rigs, but what about trolling tandem crankbaits? With a tandem rig, the heavier lure is on the bottom. So what about replacing it with a diving lure? You could leave the top lure a typical tandem trailer or a shallow diving crankbait.

Saving a ton of trebles flying around, it seems like this could be really effective. I could even see inventing a reverse diving lure so that the pair of crankbaits would be a matched set so that the bottom dives hard and the top one surfaces slightly, creating a vertical spread in the water column.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I don't know. My crankbaits seem to find one another on occasion, even when trolled out on each side of the kayak on different rods. When it does happen, which is rare, it tends to be while turning. I have taken on the tactic, after hooking one fish and needing to turn, I quickly wind in the rod opposite the direction where I want to turn. I then make a hard turn in the direction of the rod that is still in the water. I then put out the other rod. When I finally finish the turn in the direction where I want to go, both lines will then pull in behind me. This way I can get back on the fish quickly.

Let us know how the tandem cranks work out. I think that may be frustrating.

Comment

Crankbaits do not swim straight all the time, so be prepared for some fun tangles. I know Joe (ComeOnFish) trolls tandems and I think he has a video on YouTube that shows a shallow diver and a deep diver like a stretch. I think the only way you could do it would be in a Hobie or motorized kayak bc the drag of two large Crankbaits would wear you out. However, I have used bucktails and weighted shads in place of the deep diver and then used a bomber or other shallow diving plug as the long leader lure. It works well but you have to make sure to reel it in or the bucktail will eventually snag. Good luck!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I say hook up some crankbaits to an Alabama rig and have at it!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

.......... or the idea I told you earlier ............ crank on the bottom and weight neutral bucktail on top ........... the crank makes the bucktail shimmy and dance ........

Comment

I have seen that technique used up in the great lakes for Walleye and trout, but not sure on the particular set up.
            Yellow WS Ride 135
            Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

try and see what happens.

Comment

I have a friend that does alot of trolling out of a boat on Lake Anna for stripers. He uses a Cotton Cordell CD9 in Chrome Black Back or Chrome Blue Back. He removes the middle trebble and adds a 30" leader to that connection and then adds a 1/4oz bucktail to the end of the leader. I'm going to try that set up out of a kayak.

Comment

Working...
                X