safety, safety safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety, safety safety

a good friend of mine put out just north of Lapidum boat ramp. He was maby an hour before he noticed his kayak sluggish while paddling. He looked in the well and found out that almost 40% filled with water. He barely made it to shore before water started to come over the edge. It occurred do to a small crack on the stern. luckily he had on his pfd and all is safe. It just goes to show you anything can happen. It will be an easy fix.

The same thing happened to me last summer while crabbing in my Outback. I had a drive well crack which is impossible to detect until there's water in the hull. I was in pretty shallow water and not far from shore so I kept bailing water every half hour so it didn't ruin my trip. Although, it did require a new hull. Having that happen at Lapidum could be very dangerous as the river up there is more powerful than it seems.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

I had this happen twice, once with you son in my Outback last year (Hobie/BackyardBoats replace the hull for a small fee) and earlier this year with my Pro Angler (again Hobie/BackyardBoats replace the hull, this time free). The biggest thing I now have added to my kayak now for safety protection is a dozen pool noodles for emergency buoyancy if needed until reaching shore with a another hull leak again.
      US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

Comment

I too have added pool noodles which allow me to compartamentalize (sp?) my Trident as well as give me additional bouyancy. I also added a hand pump ($20 at Dicks) as bailing out with a sponge just don't cut it.

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

The new Outbacks (my replacement hull) came with the extra floatation. I also store my outriggers in there, inflated. I am surprised to hear that the Pro Angler got a crack. What I've done is to put foam rubber on the tabs where the mirage drive rides on the hull. I hope for it to take off some pressure locally. It makes the fit tighter, but I'd prefer a little manuevering to get the drive in than to be in the middle of the flats without a spare tire

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

How common do the Outbacks crack? I've been strongly considering a future purchase of an Outback but this makes me concerned.
            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by new2yaks11 View Post
              How common do the Outbacks crack? I've been strongly considering a future purchase of an Outback but this makes me concerned.
              The issue was not with just the Outback but all Hobies. They supposedly fixed the issue with the later models. The one I cracked was a 2007. However, I don't see too much different with the design that would prevent it from happening again unless they made the plastic thicker there. You could probably check the hobie forums for more info. Search "drive well crack."

Shadyfisher had the same issue as well and also got a new hull. Time will tell if the issue is actually resolved

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Yep, I noticed mine developing a crack before it actually started to leak. I believe it was at the October meet & greet in the south river that it finally started to leak, but not seriously. After about 4 hours on the water I think I had about 5 gallons of water in the hull.

I went from a 2010 hull to a 2012 hull for only the cost of shipping. From what I understand it's rare for 2010 and newer hulls to develop the cracks but maybe time will change that.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

2010 should have had the problem resolved. I had mine about 2 years before I developed the crack. I guess I'll find out in another year and a half if it shows again. At any rate, Hobie customer service is great and they'll take care of you.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X