Shimano Calcutta, or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimano Calcutta, or other?

i'm just starting research/shopping for a saltwater reel with clicker.

* i'd like smallest reasonable size/weight, good reputation for durable.

* it's for saltwater jigging, bottom fishing, light tackle troll. i would like levelwind and clicker.

* it would be for flounder, tog, sea trout, drum. either 20 or 30# test braid line.

* available under $200 new. might consider used at less than $100.

it looks like shimano calcutta fits the bill? what size?? maybe something else altogether??? i would probly pair it with a MH-Fast action or Hvy rod for most use.
    any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by Southerly; 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM.

I have two calcutta's, a 201 B (left handed, no clicker) and a 400 (with clicker). I love em'. They cast a mile and are durable as anything. The 400 casts great even though it is slightly larger than the 201. The clicker is not the loudest ive heard, but still makes enough noise you can hear it while trolling. I have the 400 spooled with #60 PP on a 7ft fast action, heavy rod rated for up to 4 ounces. I used it for tog at the CBBT and red drum in the shoals of VA. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Check out allofcraigs.com. There are some really good deals on there and many of the sellers will ship. No warrenty obviously, but certaintly cheaper if you are looking to save a penny.

If you do not want to spend $200, Ive heard the Shimano Cardiff are equally as good as the Calcutta series; however they do not have a solid forged aluminum cast.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I have and use my Calcutta 200B, Calcutta 400, Diawa Luna 203 and Quantum Cabo on my yak. All have LWs and are saltwater reels. Only the 400 has the clicker. These reels can do all of the above (bottom fishing, trolling, casting, etc), but they tend to be a bit heavy (10+ ounces) for long hours of casting and jigging.

For versatility, your best bet is to go with freshwater baitcasters for fresh and salt water fishing. After usage, I always wash them with soap and water. They work fine. Many people do this.

I have many low profile BCs (Abu Revo SX HS, Abu Orra Inshore, Shimano Curado 200E7, Quantum Catalyst, Quantum Tour Edition). They do not have clickers. In fact, I don't think you'll find any with clickers, unless you go with heavier reels (e.g., Calcutta 400, Ambassadeur C3). All my BCs have LW. My best casting BCs in terms of smoothness and control are the Revo, Curado, Catalyst and Tour. All my BCs were bought for less than $170 each.

My BCs are light (7 to 9 ounces), good for all day casting and jigging. I use my BCs for bottom fishing and trolling too. They are awesome reels for the yak.
      Last edited by tufnik; 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Revo inshore ....... Calcutta ......... Avet .........

Comment

Jigging,Trolling,Bottom Fishing, Levelwind, and Clicker

If there is no casting, a Penn 9 can do the job. About $60.

Comment

Penn 9 is a great all around kayak reel, very durable. If you want a do it all with a clicker then the Abu Garcia 5xxx or 6xxx or shimno 40x are the way to go. You really don't need that much line on a kayak so an Abu 5601 (lefty, thumbar) C4 would work well and have a clicker. The 6501 would be my choice for you though, more line in case you want to use it for drum or trolling and can handle anything we fish for.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

i'll probably go with a lefty, especially if it has a thumb release. i'm thinking a minimum of long casts. mostly vertical jigging, bottom fishing.

i like the price on penn 9 and would let me fill this niche so easy. i notice it did not have a braid capacity listed and i wonder if it might have problem with wedging braid line or something?

the c4 is a definite maybe. i like the price at about $100 and nice bonus of a thumb bar.

the revo inshore is very tempting since it's similar to my revo s, but better. i had no idea they had a clicker, or i may have sprung for that instead of the 's'. i think it's the lightest weight out of the whole bunch. i think this would be my pick for a flounder reel but also notice it's stretching the budget for lefty version.

the calcutta 400 has such a great reputation, i can't leave it out of consideration.

i think i need to get a couple of these in my hands and see how they feel and then compare specs again. line capacity's usually not much of an issue for me but i would like to have a yak rod that experienced salt fishermen would consider to be at least reasonably ready for bait fishing in salt.

thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Calcutta vs Penn 9

When it comes to reels that might be lost overboard, I'm not so strong on expensive ones. There is no comparing a Calcutta to a Penn 9, as they are two totally separate reels. They both catch fish. In the right hands they can both do the job. I think the Calcutta is way more versatile because it does have casting ability.

I am puzzled why you would not consider a spinning outfit to address those same criteria.

Comment

mostly for a clicker. i have a penn 330 and have taken it on the yak just to have a clicker and strong reel but i don't feel like it belongs on a yak. dragging an umbrella rig down the bay - yeah.

i use spinning gear a lot and like it, but like fishing a baitcaster better, especially for any sort of jigging, or trolling for that matter. i'm not very good at casting it, but can do. i like small spinning gear but i don't enjoy the large spinning gear so much.

ps - i think the only clicker on the revo inshore is the drag adjustment makes a clicking sound. if true, i can take this one off my list. this heavier rod would probably be used with a FF rig in clicker mode, possibly while i'm vert jigging a 2nd rod, or vert jigged in deeper water and/or using heavy spoon or ball jig.

ps - everytime i come home with all the gear i left with, i think it's at least a small success. and have gotten much better at that this past year.

Comment

Thumbar lefty Abu C3 = 6601 C3. I think the 6501 is easier to cast because the release is on the side plate. You only need the C4 if you want the smaller size and a clicker or feel like bumping it up. You can get a C3 for $50-$70 and it fits all of your criteria. You can always upgrade the bearings and other components to make it a c4 or c5. Put it on an ugly stik tiger lite and you will be set. That series is great for the kayak because you can't break it and the rod butt is the right length for the kayak.
                    Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      Thumbar lefty Abu C3 = 6601 C3. I think the 6501 is easier to cast because the release is on the side plate. You only need the C4 if you want the smaller size and a clicker or feel like bumping it up. You can get a C3 for $50-$70 and it fits all of your criteria. You can always upgrade the bearings and other components to make it a c4 or c5. Put it on an ugly stik tiger lite and you will be set. That series is great for the kayak because you can't break it and the rod butt is the right length for the kayak.
                      i have a pair of 6500 Abu C3s that are on 6'10" graphite Medium Heavy rods loaded with Cabela's 30# Rip Chord braid- They are plenty for anything we are going to run into in the Bay and they can cast pretty decent- I usually use my Revo SX and/or Curado 200E7 for casting lures at Mattawoman creek
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                      X