Newbie Kayak Fishing on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Kayak Fishing on the Severn

Two of my friends and I, we each bought in on a purchase of 3 Hobie kayaks in December. We *finally* got them out for a maiden voyage this past weekend and did some kayak fishing. We headed for the Severn river and launched out of Jonas Green park. The weather was beautiful and surprisingly, there were few people about when we arrived at around 8 or so. Aside from one other kayaker on the water, it was open water.

After a little too much time taken to get setup, we finally got on the boats wet and trolled fake eels and tandem rigs with paddletails and spro bucktails. We covered about all the water between the two bridges and among the three of us, there was only one fish caught, but it was a decent one -- a stout and pretty looking ~24" striper.

It was a blast to get the kayaks in the water and putz around in them. The peddle drive is great; I only wish the Oasis came standard with turbo fins. The standard ones seem a bit "underpowered".

More reports to come as I can find more time to get out on the water. We're looking to take them out to try our hand at crabbing (inspiration taken from the experiences shared by Moc and Metroman) and to try catching some flounder and tog in the OC and AI vicinity.

Hope to see you guys out there. Tight lines.
    Attached Files

That is a good looking fish, but you might want to say that it was over 28 inches long and you caught it in the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayjax View Post
      That is a good looking fish, but you might want to say that it was over 28 inches long and you caught it in the bay.
      The fish was legal in terms of size, but we weren't aware of the added restrictions by location. Oh well, now we know for the future.

Comment

we're in transition. i think on the mainstem of mid-bay and south, we're allowed 2 over 18", but only one of them can be over 28". but severn river (for example) is catch/release until june. md dnr has maps by date (use arrow button to switch maps) :

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...bregmap01.html

good-lookin' fish. i've only fished that area by powerboat but look forward to kayak'g it soon.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the Yaks. Nice fish.
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

btw - i can't figure out what's going on with flounder

some are getting themselves caught, but also maybe some problems with slur'd water from the wind causing the skunk. not sure what's going on.

to get summer kicked off - we're thinking of a short family camping trip to frontier town when school lets out, dependent on weather. plan to fish the assateque side for flounder. really be nice to see some yaks out there

Comment

Nice fleet of yaks you guys have there. The Severn can be very productive at times for a large variety of fish.

If you are interested in crabbing. I will be giving it my first go of the season on the other side of the river from Jonas Green on Saturday with 10 traps. I have an Olive Outback and my wife will be in a camo sit in kayak. Come on by and I'll show you where I like to crab in the Severn.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice! i had to put back 2 fatties at the M&G, been a while for keepers and i could taste them with a little lemon and butter. if you want to troll around go toward the mouth of the severn. i usually launch from the navy marina on the right as you go out. on sunday mornings.

Comment

Working...
                X