calvert beach fishing info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calvert beach fishing info

I am heading down to calvert beach to take my kids camping at matoaka camp ground this weekend. We plan on doing some fossill hunting and fishing on the kayaks. Anyone know of any good spots close by that might hold some good action for the kids to keep their attention. They are 9 and 12 so they don't have a whole lot of patience yet when they are not catching anything. I just got my son a field and stream talon 12 kayak that was on sale at dick's so this will be his first fishing trip out in it. I am hoping to get him on a striper or two this weekend and break it in right. Also since i am not that familiar with this area other than 1 charter i was on that summer in this i was wondering if any flounder might be hanging around as well. Thanks for any info. You guys in the area might be able to share. Happy memorial day everyone!!!!!! Get out and catch a few or at least drink a few this weekend.

I don't fish that area very often. I don't think there are many sheltered creeks or coves along that stretch of shoreline by Mataoka Cottages. The primary water access is directly into the mainstem of the bay. Depending on wind speed and direction, the water just off the beach could be pretty rough, or it could be very calm. Use some discretion when taking a novice kayaker there for his initial outing.

You might do better loading the kayaks onto your vehicle and driving a few miles west to some tributaries off of the lower Patuxent River in Calvert County. There are plenty of sheltered areas on that side.

Hopefully some of the other MKF members who live in southern MD can offer their thoughts on where to fish and what species to target.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

.......... also .... beach access is usually down long paths downhill in that area ......... I think there are some public ponds/lakes in the area that would be easier access and easier to catch fish. Otherwise I would travel down to Solomons and fish the Navy Dock that's close to the bridge for perch and maybe a striper ...... although stripers may take more patience .......

Comment

I would be very careful in the bay with your kids this weekend. It will be absolutely chock-full-o-boats with the holiday and all. I fish the bay quite a bit not too far from there (a little north) and the fish have not been around.

You might want to try Jackson's Landing or Selby's Landing in Jug Bay (Pax River) for some perch, bass, and catfish. You could also try King's Landing State Park which is also on the Pax river in Calvert County. If you want to brave the bay, like MM said, Solomon's is a good place to go.

Comment

Hallowing Point Rte 231 @ the Patuxent
          good launch
          with lots bridge pilings to hide from Boat traffic

Broomes Island would be another decent choice close by

Comment

Matt (CB Kayak) should definitely be able to help with this we are from Calvert but I just started kayak fishing and usually go out of my aunts on the patuxent...

Comment

moc and i checked matoaka for possible launch locations in april. too steep for a good launch

Comment

thanks for the info everyone

thank ou guys for the info. and alternate launch/fishing areas that are nearby.
                we will check them out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                  moc and i checked matoaka for possible launch locations in april. too steep for a good launch
                  Nice little beach but I could not see dragging my yak back up that steep path.
                  Attached Files

Comment

breezy point is pertty nice

Comment

Working...
                    X