reds breeding in the patuxant river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reds breeding in the patuxant river

i didnt think that red drum spawned this far north but i held a 6" red in my hand after it hit a small spinner while fishing out of clarks landing this morning. looked like a croaker but had 4 black spots on both sides. moc said they caught a few also. too bad i didnt find big momma

John--that red was likely spawned last summer or fall in the lower Bay or in the ocean. The larvae ride the tides like croaker (and are often found with croaker larvae) to the nursery areas. Hopefully, the puppy drum are here as well. I really want to get a slot red in Maryland. All the ones I've caught have just been a little bit too short.

I think the guys from the Tackle Box catch puppy drum in that creek as well as the next creek down (Town Creek?). A few years ago, a keeper red was caught from the Solomons pier, but not by me, sadly.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

thanks Bill, the same spinner caught juvie stripers and a 2.5" spot all in the same place too bad they wernt larger. also hooked into an 11" wp that hit a piece of crab and made a hell of a mess to my T/B rig, i was surprised that bws and crab wernt producing

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
        thanks Bill, the same spinner caught juvie stripers and a 2.5" spot all in the same place too bad they wernt larger. also hooked into an 11" wp that hit a piece of crab and made a hell of a mess to my T/B rig, i was surprised that bws and crab wernt producing
        so are you saying GB couldn't get you in the fish either?
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

A friend of mine at college did his senior thesis on the hearing/noise production of red drum. He caught all his own fish that he experimented on around the creek in St. Mary's County. He had a permit from the DNR to keep up to so many under the slot limit. they are definitely there. We caught them while fishing for perch and spot on top bottom rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
            so are you saying GB couldn't get you in the fish either?
            Not only were we bailing fish after fish, I also tied that bucktail/spinner Surfdog was catching them with!
            The Grady-Custom strikes again :-))
            GB

Comment

I have caught small red drum in Mitchell's Creek on the backside of Cobb's Island from my Sister's piers- most were less than a pound but a couple were a pound or so- most were caught in the early morning at the rock piles where the tide creates current- she lives on the point in the mouth of the creek where it empties into the sound and has several tons of large rocks protecting her property and a short pier of less than 50 feet- water is six feet deep under the piers and is deep enough to catch big croakers from the piers- Tossing a tiny 1/16 oz jighead with a natural color sassy shad swim body on 4# test UL is all I ever fish with off her piers- Usually you catch a bunch of white perch, a bluefish or two and small stripers- occasionally a puppy drum and horse croakers- a two or three pound horse croaker on 4# UL tackle feels like a monster-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-29-2012, 07:17 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

i know under slot reds are caught in the area but i didnt know that they bred in the area.

yeah that spinner was killer untill the knot came untied sweet spinner like a mini red fish magic

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
                  Not only were we bailing fish after fish, I also tied that bucktail/spinner Surfdog was catching them with!
                  The Grady-Custom strikes again :-))
                  GB
                  Tried, true, and tested!!! LOL I'm still waiting to "learn the craft" argggghhh

Comment

Working...
                  X