Croakers are more than plentiful at PLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croakers are more than plentiful at PLO

Fished the same spot as my last report and the outcome was much better. I used Food Lion Brand Shell On Raw Shrimp and bloodworms and found myself picking and choosing which one was smaller in the first 2 hours of fishing. I ended up keeping 1 12" and 23 14 - 16 inchers. Threw back 8 or 9. They were slightly skinnier then the last limit of croakers I had caught, but hooking double croakers was almost automatic tonight. At least 3 times I swore I had a Striper on, but it ended up being 2 croakers instead every time.

At sunset bloodworm and shrimp both saw constant action, but after sun down shrimp was the choice bait with bloodworm not even being touched. I cut up the one spot I caught in hopes for a Striper, but ended up with only more croaker on that as well. This batch of croakers definitely has more size than the last, but as I mentioned before they seem slightly more lean.

Fished in approx 18 - 20 feet of water straight out from the pet beach about 100 yards further than the fishing pier.I may be camping out their next weekend with a buddy of mine. If you guys want me to show you guys the spot I will be more then happy too. I kept pulling up some sort of rock that had muscles (i think) on them. There must be some kind of bed on the bottom. All I know is that I was catching a whole lot, and came in even while the bite was hot cause I had my limit, but the people on shore were getting a bite only every now and then. In the 45 minutes it took me to load up and wash up and leave no one caught anything. In my 5 hours of fishing I only had a brief pause in action for about 20 minutes or so then it picked right up again.

It was actually kind of a funny. Some dude on a boat was watching me and he wasn't getting much action, but I was hooking into them pretty consistently. He was so intrigued with the whole kayak gettup that he literally pulled up 20 yards up current and cut his engine off. I found it a little bit rude cause I had to wind up my lines so it wouldn't get caught on his prop as he drifted past me, but he was an elderly guy and we had a brief 5 minute convo out on the open sea. An interesting experience none the less. He seemed fascinated with the whole idea. All I can say is... I'm glad I got into Kayak Fishing. Definitely has been a blast.

Pics are coming later in the morning. Didn't have a chance to take pics yet.
    Last edited by dson05; 06-03-2012, 03:23 AM.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Nice report, sounds like a lot of fun! I've been kayak fishing for almost two years now and I've found that just about everytime I go someone will ask me about my kayak.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Are you off the Pet beach that is right next to the north end of the causeway?? Or closer to the pier? Are you a St Mary's county guy or are you driving down to PLO from farther off?

I caught nothing to speak of 15 miles farther up the coast...3" croaker..HA
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Great job. That's a hell of a stringer of fish.

Were you rigging up at the causeway around 3:30? Red trident? If so we passed you on the way out of the park.

We fished the Potomac side in cornfield harbor from 10:30 AM till 3:00 PM and got our butts kicked out there. It was nasty on the river side. Of Course when we packed up and drove out the bay side was nice and calm.

Comment

Nice going on the croakers.
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice work on the fish, I' think you have really pinpointed where they are!!
            Who's ready to go catch croaker tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              Are you off the Pet beach that is right next to the north end of the causeway?? Or closer to the pier? Are you a St Mary's county guy or are you driving down to PLO from farther off?

I caught nothing to speak of 15 miles farther up the coast...3" croaker..HA
              Well it's on the south end of the causeway. When you first drive into the park you pass that walled off jetty on your left and the marina lake/bay on your right. At the end of it you will see a little opening that leads down to the beach right before the trees start. I set up at the causeway and roll my yak down there.from the pet beach I would say paddle straight out east to right around the 18 ft depth. You will notice slightly uneven bottom with what seems to be weeds as well on the bottom. Anchor there. I've casted all around me, but it always seemed that the lines casted parallel to shore and out to towards the bay produced the most fish (bigger as well). I think thats why shore fisherman don't see as much action. Even paddling out to 20 feet might work, but I didn't really wanna paddle the extra distance.

From your description I am closer to the pier. I am a Montgomery County guy from northeast of DC. 2 hrs each way, but I found the trip well worth it.
              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                Great job. That's a hell of a stringer of fish.

Were you rigging up at the causeway around 3:30? Red trident? If so we passed you on the way out of the park.

We fished the Potomac side in cornfield harbor from 10:30 AM till 3:00 PM and got our butts kicked out there. It was nasty on the river side. Of Course when we packed up and drove out the bay side was nice and calm.
                Yeah that was me. It was an orange trident, but there was no one else rigging up there so im assuming it was me. Yeah I was reading the reports the whole way down to the park. I was reading that the wind was going to die down around 5 pm. Even with the wind though the chop wasn't too bad actually. The waves averaged at about 1.5 feet to 2 feet. The boats drifting all around me cause more swells than the actual wind did.

Comment

Now that's the kind of report we like. Good work. Hope the bites are still there at our M&G.

BTW, MD fishing reports go to The Boatyard, not in the Main Forum. VA reports go to Waters Beyond - Virginia.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Now that's the kind of report we like. Good work. Hope the bites are still there at our M&G.

BTW, MD fishing reports go to The Boatyard, not in the Main Forum. VA reports go to Waters Beyond - Virginia.
                    My apologies. I will do that from now.

Comment

Pics of my catch as I promised

Photos that I promised. I promised my friend some fish if he helped me clean. When I woke up... he was already done scaling and cutting fins. He must have really wanted some fresh fish. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X