Any word on Susky fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any word on Susky fishing?

Planning to take my dad fishing on the susky on saturday for Perch and Striper if they are still around, but will keep catfish options open if needed to avoid the skunk. Anybody have word on river conditions? We'll be taking my dad's 14' smoker craft...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
    Planning to take my dad fishing on the susky on saturday for Perch and Striper if they are still around, but will keep catfish options open if needed to avoid the skunk. Anybody have word on river conditions? We'll be taking my dad's 14' smoker craft...
    Hey Ryan,
    I haven't heard anything good on the Flats lately, but I'd venture north to Lapidum maybe....and further. I understand the stripers and perch go up there, certainly big catfish. I don't have first hand experience other than catfish but I'd like to hear what you have to report. I know the stripers go all the way to the dam.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Stripers stay there year round ......... depends on the water flow as to where they are ...........

Decades ago I fished them there all the time. The flats on the grass beds will hold them and largemouth. Fish the grassbeds at high tide with surface plugs and white topwater spinnerbaits.

The river above Lapidum is good too when the water is running but watch out for the rocks and make sure you know the signals and schedules for the flood gates .......... get out fast when they close them. Also I would not use a large engine there (over 15 hp) because the rocks hafe a tendancy of ruining your day. Oh ...... and don't go unless you really know how to read the water. Lots of small mouth by the docks around Port Deposit ....... largemouths around the grass between the bridges and catfish everywhere .........

Good luck

Comment

Shady, I was just up on the flats at lapidum doing some shore fishing. haven't fished here in over a month. The water is very high and extremely dirty. Lots of debris in the water as well.

I did pickup a 12" smallie but that was it. I was happy to get that considering the water clarity.

As Memory Maker said, the fishing can still be good there, just a bit more challenging when the water is chocolate brown.

Good luck to you and be very careful as I'm sure they'll be releasing a bunch of water from the dam.

Minh

Comment

Originally posted by MTDluvsFishin View Post
          Shady, I was just up on the flats at lapidum doing some shore fishing. haven't fished here in over a month. The water is very high and extremely dirty. Lots of debris in the water as well.

I did pickup a 12" smallie but that was it. I was happy to get that considering the water clarity.

As Memory Maker said, the fishing can still be good there, just a bit more challenging when the water is chocolate brown.

Good luck to you and be very careful as I'm sure they'll be releasing a bunch of water from the dam.

Minh
          If it's high and muddy then it's time to watch em on tv ......... susky has to be clear to catch

Comment

How about croakers at PLO this Sat for the June M&G (I think it's still on)?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. My plan was to launch at lapidum and head up river around the old railroad bridge. I've had good success there in the past and know how to get around in a boat without coming into contact with some of the large rocks that are up there. If the water is chocolate brown and muddy, I will definately be avoiding the area. I just flew in from Chicago a little bit ago and the whole bay looked somewhat brown from the plane, but I guess it could be because I was looking at beautiful blue green lake michigan only a few hours ago...

Hopefully the susky will be in better shape next weekend...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

susky fishing

I have been up to the fishermans pier and as of yesterday only occassional fish caught. rock, catfish, . there was a ton of water going through the dam and by friday they should be catching more and more as the water clears up, less water moving through the dam

Comment

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has been out on the susky this week. Does anyone know the condition of the river? Thinking of taking my dad tomorrow for some perch and cats.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

was up there last sunday. we went out of port deposit with our yaks. got a 25" striper, 5 smallies and a cat . topwater was with me and got a small striper, 4 smallies and 2 cats. no perch , but other guys got lots of perch up closer to the dam. i wouldnt go past port deposit in anything other than a yak !

Comment

Launching my dad's 14 ft smokercraft from lapidum tomorrow morning and heading up river, will report how we do.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good luck! Looking forward to the report. I have been thinking about taking the yak up there.
                        Cliff Williams
                        Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

grats on 1,000 post lol
                          Cliff Williams
                          Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

oooo didnt even notice the 1000 posts!

Fishing was well below sub par. I caught nothing and didnt even get a bite. However, my dad managed to catch two catfish that were about 13-14 inches. Hopefully I can put him on more fish next time...

I was considering cancelling the trip when I called the dam hotline last night and it said only 1 small gate would be open until 8am and then only 2 until 11 am. Generally, no current up there means no fish and that held true today...

If you are planning on going above lapidum boat ramp, call the dam hotline beforehand 1-888-457-4076. One or two gates would have made for nice kayaking water, but a very slow bite. Generally, I think around 3-4 gates turns the bite on, but it might be tough to handle in a kayak.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

not true for the yakers, no water means rapids, rapids mean stripers can be caught. we dont like fishing there even if the tide is high because it takes out the rapids. the smallies like rapids also. take your yak and try it you will love it. just dont be on the river when they are running more than 2 small units. we are gona be there tomarow morning before daylight. maybe see you guys there.

Comment

Working...
                              X