No announcement yet.

Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used cut alewives with 3-4oz weight and I've been casting 1.5-2 oz bucktails with bass assassins (green/white). I've also done well at dusk around the new/old seawalls south of KN bridge. The current really kicks around the end of the sea wall towards the bridge and I've hit a couple strong schools up there right up through 10pm.

Comment

Where do you launch at Hemingway's, never been there but thinking about going out tomorrow evening.

Comment

there is a small beach area where you can launch. you can see it as soon as soon as you cross the bridge.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I guess this is the check in
          Me and a friend have been hard core kayak fisherman/campers for years, but only mountain rivers targeting Smallies.
          I moved to Calvert Co. 5 years ago and never got into the saltwater thing for some reason. My wife went to crab at Solomons pier last week and I threw a yak in the water, had a large spinner rod, Roadrunner w/ 6" white plastic tail, something grabbed it and spun me around, but was off in a flash.
          I'm hooked now (no pun),
          My fleet is geared towards rivers - 10' Redfish SOT, 12' perception SINK, 14' Mad River Canoe/hybrid, 16' tandem Pamlico SINK.

I guess my safest boat for the bay is the redfish, as it is self bailing, but I wont be paddling any miles in that thing. looks like I will be after a 12' SOT.

Does anyone here do any camping/fishing trips on the bay?
          we use Hennesy hammocks in the mountains, are there a lot of "public" islands you can just "throw down" on for the night ?

Looking forward to fishing in my "back yard" and not driving 6 hours each way

Slack
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Slackdaddy; 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM.
          Captian of the plastic Navy
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

welcome aboard slack!

ive never camped out fromt he yak but i have seen pictures and read stories of guys who have and seems like a blast. i really want to give it a try this fall when the bugs die down. i really hate mosquitos...that bad!

i know you can camp out at PLO and other MD state parks, and the potomac on the towpath in certain areas, but i'm going to look into this more..

sweetr pics and hope you stick around
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks S-Jet,
              Yeah I'll be here, It's a sickness I guess, never caught a fish in the bay from a yak (cept a toadfish), but planning a overnight trip allready .
              I am actully dropping bow season this year to try and get up to speed on the "local" yak fishing.

Hoping work calms down a little (the next week is going to be hell).
              Do any of the guys from the board fish on week day mornings ?
              Trying to decide if the 12' SINK or the 10' SOT would be better on the bay?

a 12' Tarpon is in the plans, but a few months off.

I'll be looking to head out to Solomons, North Beach or even SPSP in about 2 weeks.

Slack
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

where are you located?

you will be fine with 12 foot sink as long as it's not too rough out or you have a skirt.

mine yak is over 13' and i take a quite bit of water over the bow when seas are over a foot high and close.

best bet for you is to take with both yaks out and stay close to shore or go with a buddy and see what youre comfortable with. i could give you advice all day long but there are guys out there that will fish in a 5' sink whitewater yak all around me!
                sigpic

Comment

I am in the Lower Marlboro area of Calvert County.

I think I will use the 10' SOT for now, not the fastest on open water, but self bailing, stable and will absolutly float in a flip.

Now just need to figure out what to put on the "fish end" of the line for where I'll be fishing

Slack
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

If anyone wants some suggestions on kayak camping trips in Canada, drop me a line, I've done several solo trips in eastern and northwestern Ontario for 10-13 days. Great fishing and outstanding experience.

Comment

what time of year do you fish up there?
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X