Fishing under the bay bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing under the bay bridge

How experienced of a kayaker do you need to be to fish under the bay bridge safely?

First time I fished there was in a 10ft SinK after maybe a dozen trips to small lakes and the Key Bridge. Pretty nerve wracking and I'm not sure how "safe" it was but as long as the weather cooperates its no big deal imho.

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
      First time I fished there was in a 10ft SinK after maybe a dozen trips to small lakes and the Key Bridge. Pretty nerve wracking and I'm not sure how "safe" it was but as long as the weather cooperates its no big deal imho.

Chimo
      Agreed, as long as your comfortable and trust your yak float over waves and such you should be fine.

Comment

It's the first place I took my yak out. It's intimidating at first, but not a big deal if the conditions are good. I've been there in bad conditions, and you probably don't want to do that. Be on the lookout for boats and wakes. Most of the big tankers go pretty slow around there, but once in a while, you'll get one that produces a huge wake... nothing a yak can't handle though, as long as you're facing it.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

if the weater cooperates then it shouldnt be a problem. when its rough out there it can be a little hectic if your not 100% comfortable with the kayak. Once you get used to it, you'll be going out in tsunami's no problem!lol
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'll try and take a few pictures

Comment

Safety in numbers I'm going out sat,. morning if you like to hook up.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Would love to on Saturday but the kids have soccer. next time?

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
                Safety in numbers I'm going out sat,. morning if you like to hook up.

Comment

msjcl,

Weekends are probably not the best time to hit the BB for your first trip unless you are planning to head for the Eastern side. As the summer wears on, more and more folks take their boats out of SPSP and their wakes will be an additional worry. If you can, try to get out there during the week when you only have to worry about the wind and the tide.
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Not a bad idea John. I would be launching from Sandy Point. I think I'll try this during the week. Will go for more "reasonable" water this weekend.

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                    msjcl,

Weekends are probably not the best time to hit the BB for your first trip unless you are planning to head for the Eastern side. As the summer wears on, more and more folks take their boats out of SPSP and their wakes will be an additional worry. If you can, try to get out there during the week when you only have to worry about the wind and the tide.

Comment

Working...
                    X