Noob introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob introduction

Hi, just found the site and decided to introduce myself. I've been an avid fisherman of both fresh and saltwater, but always from shore or powerboat. Last year I found myself not having the time to fish as often nor as long as in previous years due to my wife and I having our first child, along with being involved with several other hobbies. That was when I decided to buy a kayak. I liked the idea of low maintenance, and easy to sneak out for a couple of hours with it. I live near Middle River and can easily launch the kayak about 200 yards from my doorstep. If I only have 2hrs of free time, I can get in about 1hr 45min of fishing. It's been great, and now I used the kayak more than the powerboat.

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy fishing from a kayak, or if I'd stick with it, so I picked up a Perception Caster from Dicks on sale at the end of last summer. Seemed like a decent entry level kayak with the most bang for your buck in that price range. So far I've been happy with the purchase, it does it's intended job, but it's definitely a wet ride, and now I see what features are important to me and which ones aren't. I'm now looking at the Feelfree 12' Moken's. My wife has a Feelfree Juntos, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the build quality and ride of that boat. I'd love to hear others opinions of the Mokens if you've paddled one.

I'll fish for whatever's biting, and just enjoy being on the water. Though I mostly fish for bass, crappy, perch, and rockfish.

Seems like a great forum here and a good group of people.

Here's a pic of a crappy from last weekend.
    2012 FeelFree Moken Angler 12
    http://www.youtube.com/80grady

Welcome to the site..
    GB

Comment

Can't help you on the type of yak you are looking for but welcome aboard anyway.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Nice Fish!

Comment

Welcome and Nice Crappie!!

Comment

Welcome.
              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Welcome to the dark side. There's no going back!

Nice crappie!

Comment

Moken 12

I have never paddled a Moken 12, but have read good reviews about the kayak. I would think just about any sit on top would work well for your fishing style. I've heard that the Casters are a wet ride, but not sure why. The Perception Prescadore is made using the old Wilderness Tarpon molds, so they are an affordable kayak with a good reputation.

I liked kayak fishing so much that I sold my river jet boat this spring.

Comment

welcome.
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Welcome! I have a 12' Moken Angler and love it. I was able pick one up from StarkMoon Kayaks in PA for $650. The owner is awesome. It was a display model and still had stickers on it. I fully rigged it with replacement rod holders, a pole light and a fish finder. Send me a PM if you want to see pics and I'll take some.

Cool to see your local too.
                      Dave
                      2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Welcome!

Nice crappie is that on the Occuquan?

Meadeo
                        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                          Welcome!

Nice crappie is that on the Occuquan?

Meadeo
                          Nope, it was on Sue Creek off of Middleriver

Comment

Originally posted by dsmero View Post
                            Welcome! I have a 12' Moken Angler and love it. I was able pick one up from StarkMoon Kayaks in PA for $650. The owner is awesome. It was a display model and still had stickers on it. I fully rigged it with replacement rod holders, a pole light and a fish finder. Send me a PM if you want to see pics and I'll take some.

Cool to see your local too.
                            We bought my wife's kayak from Starrkmoon. I've been exceptionally pleased with the Feelfree brand so far. I love the molded in handles and the wheel is a big plus. Also the plastic seems so much thicker than on my perception. The biggest gripe I have with the Caster is how low it sits in the water and the lack of scuppers under the seat. I'm a large guy @ 245lbs and if I board the Caster without scupper plugs in, I get a constant inch of water in it. My wifes Juntos stays dry when I'm in it without plugs. I'm hoping the Moken would be the same way.

Comment

Welcome aboard.... that is a nice Crappie....

Comment

Working...
                              X