No announcement yet.

Informal June Meet and greet has mixed success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too picked the wrong side to fish. I thought about the Bay side, but tried to fish the yellow and three legged buoy's since I never fished them before. I still caught fish, it was just nowhere near to the productivity of what KitKatYaker experienced. Well, next time I will fish the Bay side. I did get the pleasure of running into a pod of three dozen dolphons swimming past us. It was a cool site.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sweet pics!

superdodgeball, i wonder what it was that ate your croaker! Big bluefish? Shark?!?

Kevin, yes, gar. Hundreds of them. Big ones, small ones. They were surfacing like humpbackwhales. 1, 2 3 or more at a time, in unison. Sorry, no pics.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by dsmero View Post
        Hey tom! Its Dave from out on the water. Pretty crazy that something had a go at your croaker. You're better off not having seen what it was haha
        Hey Dave,
        Yeah. Thanks for cool tips on the rigging up my fish finder. I'll definitely get it set up soon. Good luck at the outer banks next week bud. Let me know next time you're planning to go fishing locally. The snakehead hunt seems interesting.

My co-worker caught a decent sized one near the Key Bridge in Washington DC about a month ago. He was fly-fishing from the VA side I believe.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
          Sweet pics!

superdodgeball, i wonder what it was that ate your croaker! Big bluefish? Shark?!?

Kevin, yes, gar. Hundreds of them. Big ones, small ones. They were surfacing like humpbackwhales. 1, 2 3 or more at a time, in unison. Sorry, no pics.
          I really don't know. lol. I showed DSMERO and he was as baffled as i was. Sorry, no picture... just my steel cable cut up near the middle. I know that the croaker was, for the most part skidding across the top of the water when I was paddling in. Maybe it went down a little when I stopped for a breather...lol... I noticed a slight tug but nothing strong and thought maybe the croaker decided to fight...

Comment

Originally posted by superdodgeball View Post
            I really don't know. lol. I showed DSMERO and he was as baffled as i was. Sorry, no picture... just my steel cable cut up near the middle. I know that the croaker was, for the most part skidding across the top of the water when I was paddling in. Maybe it went down a little when I stopped for a breather...lol... I noticed a slight tug but nothing strong and thought maybe the croaker decided to fight...
            Sounds like a Marlin.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Hey Kitkat, I thought I had an account for this site but maybe it was for a different one. So, i created this one. Anyways, just wanted to say it was nice to see other yaks out in the water. Did you get more croakers near that crab trap? Fairly productive 2 hours of fishing....Something was out in that water, had a croaker that I couldn't get the hook out of because it was pretty deep and it was on steel hook set. I decided to just drag it in and worry about getting the hook out after I get back to the beach area. Whatever it was bit through that cable like it's regular nylon and took my croaker

Anyways, good to meet everyone out there hope everyone had fun.
              How big was the croaker you had on your line?
              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by dson05 View Post
                How big was the croaker you had on your line?
                it was about a 12-14 inch. Fairly fat one.

Comment

it was about a 12-14 inch. Fairly fat one.
                  might be a bit far fetched but there were hungry blues out in the water. I caught a 17", 3 16" and one big one that jumped off my line on the way into the boat. With a school of blues being around that's probably what it was. Also, a 34" blue had been reported out in the bay so it's possible that a big blue was mixed in with these chomper blues. If it were only slight tugs it might have been a good size blue taking a few chomps on that croaker. if it was a shark or anything else it most likely would have taken the croaker whole and pull a lot harder then slight tugs.

On 3 of the 4 blues that I caught they didn't hit and run like they usually would. It only gave slight tugs that were a little harder then a toadfish.
                  The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

.Something was out in that water, had a croaker that I couldn't get the hook out of because it was pretty deep and it was on steel hook set. I decided to just drag it in and worry about getting the hook out after I get back to the beach area. Whatever it was bit through that cable like it's regular nylon and took my croaker .
                    don't dangle your feet...LOL!
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sorry I missed it.

I'm down here in FL fishing the Gulf and East shore Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon.
                      2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

I posted a short report in the other thread, and worked on a blog entry since then. I accidentally deleted the whole thing last night and had to re-write it.

So the short report is that I fished with Dsmero, Dson and his friend (it was fun fishing with you guys) the Friday evening before the Meet & Greet. I fished from 7PM to 12AM. The wind was calm, the day was in the 90s and it was still pretty warm at night. I think I fished a falling tide.

We did great fishing the bay side with squid, bloodworms and shrimp. At first we were catching in 18-20 feet of water, then later at night it was 12-13 feet of water. Several times I had a fish on each rod, and I had 1 double.

I had some fun with some baitfish and small crabs that were floating by at night. It was neat seeing them up close from my kayak.

For the full story, check out my blog.
                        Sun Fishin'

Comment

I keep trying to eat croaker, but still I am not all that fond of them. Maybe it is how I cook them. I caught some croaker with Metroman and Foursteps24 on the charter trip we took and had one blackened with redfish magic seasoning for lunch the next day. I thought it was ok, but I prefer most other fish that I've caught over croaker. I've also had it fried.

How do you all cook croaker?
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                            I keep trying to eat croaker, but still I am not all that fond of them. Maybe it is how I cook them. I caught some croaker with Metroman and Foursteps24 on the charter trip we took and had one blackened with redfish magic seasoning for lunch the next day. I thought it was ok, but I prefer most other fish that I've caught over croaker. I've also had it fried.

How do you all cook croaker?
                            Fried with cracker meal is the way to go
                            Dave
                            2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Pan-fried so its crispy on both sides with a side of fish sauce and chili peppers. Croaker is good, just not as good as other salt water or brackish fish. They're almost as cheap or cheaper than catfish if I recall in some stores.
                              Hobie Outback
                              WS Tarpon
                              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                              X