SOT yak egress question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOT yak egress question

Have any of you guys tied up at the end of Ego Alley? I was wondering how I get out of my OC Trident if I want to do this. I have always launched in two foot of water or so and don't know how to go about getting out at a dock.

Regards,
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Originally posted by john from md View Post
    Have any of you guys tied up at the end of Ego Alley? I was wondering how I get out of my OC Trident if I want to do this. I have always launched in two foot of water or so and don't know how to go about getting out at a dock.

Regards,
    John -

The young guys enter and exit their kayaks from a floating dock without even thinking twice. However, from one older angler to another, it is not something I like to do. My legs tend to cramp, and balance can be tenuous. Rather than trying it there for the first time in a very public setting, it would be worth trying somewhere else at an off time to see how comfortable it is for you.

I don't think that Ego Alley has a floating dock. Rather, you paddle up to the stone steps and tie off, fighting for space with all the dinghys. However, there is a small floating dock just around the corner from the head of Ego Alley (near where the police boats tie up by the Naval Academy fence). If I paddle into Ego Alley or the city docks area it is just for the fun of people watching. I do not exit the boat there.

I have tied up my center console boat both at the end of Ego Alley and at the nearby floating dock. It is fun to take out-of-town visitors there by water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Got you on the differences between older and younger yakkers.

Yes, Ego Alley has a wall at the end and you tie up between whatever boats are there. I routinely pick up my inlaws there when they want to go for a boat ride. The dock on the side next to the Sailing Hall of Fame seems to get more of the raft type tenders and is less used than the end of the alley.
      I think I'll try doing some simulations while the yak is on foam supports in the garage. That way if I fall out, no one will see me and I won't fall far.
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

man i can barely get out after 4-5 hours on the water at a beach landing

Comment

What keeps people from stealing the yak? Honesty?

Funny enough, I was out with my wife this past weekend at Dundee. We were sailing the Outback and she was in tow on a raft. She wanted me to pull over to the dock so she could go to the restrooms. Feeling a bit adventurous she wanted to climb out of the raft onto a rather elevated dock from our stand point. I knew it wouldn't end well and I wish I had the camera rolling because that idea ended with a big splash. In good spirits she climbed back on the raft and we took the long way to the ramp.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

"ended with a big splash."

That is exactly what I hope to avoid.
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              man i can barely get out after 4-5 hours on the water at a beach landing
              +1
              gb

Comment

The comments to the video at this link, http://www.paddling.net/videos/KayakEntry.htm mirror those here.

Comment

Working...
                X