Tags and Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tags and Registration

I'm noticing registration tags on several members kayaks. I thought registration tags applied only to motorized boats. Do I need to register my kayak, particularly my PA?
    Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
    Stealth Green Tarpon 140
    Orange Koho Perception

Only if its motorized.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I think those yakers don't always use their motors on outings.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        I think those yakers don't always use their motors on outings.
        Got it! Right! Those yakers need the tags.
        Stealth Green Tarpon 140
        Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Hey Lou,
          In MD you don't need it for your yak, but in PA you do. I'm not sure about VA.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Presently here in MD, registration of water craft under 16' in length is required if powered by electric or low HP outboards, but it's FREE.

However, if I understand things correctly, this will change in the near future with the next go-round of registration renewal. Small watercraft under 16' that are powered by electric or gas motors will by charged a fee for registration. I'm not sure how much the fee is, maybe $50.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              Hey Lou,
              In MD you don't need it for your yak, but in PA you do. I'm not sure about VA.
              So if I take my kayak to PA, I'm required having a register kayak from my resident state? Is that right?
              Stealth Green Tarpon 140
              Orange Koho Perception

Comment

If you put your Yak in PA waters you have to have a sticker that is for PA only. You can get the details from the PA fish and boat site. You can pick up the sticker at the state park where you are putting in.

Info from the PA fishandboat.com
                REGISTRATION & TITLING
                • Boats propelled by machinery must be registered, and they must
                properly display numbers and a boat registration validation decal. This
                includes all motorboats regardless of the boat’s length and type of motor
                (includes electric motors).
                • Unpowered boats using Commission lakes and access areas must
                be registered OR display a Commission use permit OR display a State
                Parks launch or mooring permit.
                • Boat titles are issued when a boat is sold or when ownership is
                conveyed. Titles are required for motorboats with a model year of 1997
                and newer, except for those that are powered by an outboard motor that
                are less than 14 feet in length. All 1997 or newer personal watercraft are
                also subject to the titling requirement. Voluntary titling is available for
                any other boat.
                www.fishandboat.com
                BOATING
                REGULATIONS
                RECAP
                A Supplement to the Boating Handbook
                Information All Boaters Must Know

Comment

Spacepeas - Yes, unregistered canoes & kayaks must display some sort of permit issued by PA. However, if your canoe or kayak is registered in MD (or any other state) and displays it numbers then you don't need to get any other permit for most of PA waters.

I register my canoe in MD and will frequently use a side mounted trolling motor. Therefore I can launch my canoe in any PA State Park Lake as well as many other areas without acquiring any sort of permit other than the usual launch fees (if any) that all boats pay.

I seem to remember though that are are still some access points in PA that even registered boat need an addition permit to be legal... and I'm not sure which they are.
                  Howard

Comment

Originally posted by loupa5 View Post
                    So if I take my kayak to PA, I'm required having a register kayak from my resident state? Is that right?
                    loupa - Here’s the key part of PA’s boating regulations that affects out-of-state kayaks that are not registered in their home state.

Unpowered boats using Commission lakes and access areas must
                    be registered OR display a Commission use permit OR display a State Parks launch or mooring permit. (My emphasis on the word OR)

So, if your kayak is not registered in MD then you must obtain an appropriate launch sticker from PA. This sticker SHOULD NOT be confused with boat registration. I do not know how much the PA launch sticker cost. If your kayak is registered in MD with the numbers posted on the side of you kayak then you do not need to purchase a launching sticker from PA for most waters of PA.
                    Howard

Comment

Thanks for all of the information guys.

I travel to PA twice a year to fish the Juniata River. Great smallie action in this river. The water level is primarily low during my visits and because of this I take my Tarpon. Now that I'm aware I've been violating PA regulations, I'll have to register the Tarpon.
                      Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                      Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                        Presently here in MD, registration of water craft under 16' in length is required if powered by electric or low HP outboards, but it's FREE.

However, if I understand things correctly, this will change in the near future with the next go-round of registration renewal. Small watercraft under 16' that are powered by electric or gas motors will by charged a fee for registration. I'm not sure how much the fee is, maybe $50.
                        ..... sorry ...... it's not free ....... you have to pay 5% the cost of the Yak to register ........ after that it's e free on renewal

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          ..... sorry ...... it's not free ....... you have to pay 5% the cost of the Yak to register ........ after that it's e free on renewal
                          Not if you purchased the kayak in MD and already paid sales tax.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yak Registration in PA

Everyone,

As a former PA resident I registered my canoes, that allowed me to use PA boat commission ramps and state park lakes without the need to purchase an additional sticker. Subsequent to my initially registering and titling my canoes PA came out with a sticker for canoes and kayaks that did not require numbers or titling. It was for a non motorized vessel although my stickers were always purchased at the lower non motorized rates.

Non motorized vessels do not necessarily need a sticker though. If you use your kayak on one of PA's many rivers you do not need a sticker unless you launch from a state ramp. Non state park lakes are similar, i.e. places like Lake Wallenpaupack or the lake behind Conowingo Dam.

Please be advised PA has numerous county owned lakes, you may need a specific county sticker there, not a state sticker.

I hope this helps and not just add confusion.

TTYakker

Comment

Working...
                            X