James Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Island

Anybody have any suggestions for fishing in the James Island Area? Areas and or species? Looks like I will be down there on a spur of the moment type trip and should have some time Saturday night and Sunday morning to do some fishing. Thanks in advance

Chimo

Originally posted by chimo View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions for fishing in the James Island Area? Areas and or species? Looks like I will be down there on a spur of the moment type trip and should have some time Saturday night and Sunday morning to do some fishing. Thanks in advance

Chimo
    I am certainly no expert on catching fish there. But here is some info on the ways things are laid out there. James Island used to be a large island that has eroded away over the decades. There are now just 2 or 3 small islands remaining. But the original footprint of the island still remains as a shallow flat area with many stumps and submerged cover. It really looks fishy to me -- but I have not fished it often enough to know where to look specifically (casting, trolling with light or floating lures). Off the edges of the flats, the slope drops down to allow access to deeper water fishing (trolling, jigging).

I think the two closest ramps are at Taylors Island and at Madison. You will paddle out to James Island along some nice looking marsh edges that ought to hold fish too.

About 25 years ago, I would drift-fish the channel to the northeast of James Island and catch flounder. I don't know if they are still there.

Good luck. It is very scenic there.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

used to fish there at night anchored right off the drop off this tme of year very big croakers hang about there. on a kayak plenty of shore line and good drop offs but its a haul to get there

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Sounds about like what I was thinking. I will let report how it turns out.

Chimo

Comment

Working...
        X