New yak owner from Chesapeake Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New yak owner from Chesapeake Beach

I'm new here, just bought a Jackson Big Tuna tandem fishing yak. I don't know jack about kayaking or that much about fishing for that matter but I live a couple blocks from the bay and kayak fishing seems like a great way to have some fun. I'm not new to boating as I have owned several power boats and a couple sailboats in my past.
    I have been watching YouTube videos for weeks but now need to get my "Tuna" in the water.

I'm gonna take a short kayaking lesson here in Chesapeake Beach before I jump into my own boat. Any suggestions for a newbie getting started?
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Welcome! The best thing you can do is go out as often as possible and just get used to your yak. Once you get comfortable, go out and flip yourself then practice getting back in.

Watch out for the crazy boaters there, especially some of the charter boats.

I'm in Lothian and launch from Rose Haven quite a bit. Let me know when you're going out and I'll join ya.

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
      Welcome! The best thing you can do is go out as often as possible and just get used to your yak. Once you get comfortable, go out and flip yourself then practice getting back in.

Watch out for the crazy boaters there, especially some of the charter boats.

I'm in Lothian and launch from Rose Haven quite a bit. Let me know when you're going out and I'll join ya.
      Do you put in right there at the little waterfront park? Can you leave a vehicle there unattended for a while? I live right in town nearly across from the Rod & Reel Restaurant in Chesapeake Beach.

My biggest obstacle to splashing the boat for the first time is that I have been wrestling with figuring the best way to get it off and on the roof of my Xterra. The BigTuna is 14.5" long and about 75-80lbs. I just bought a set of HullyRollers and Mako Saddles to assist with loading and unloading but they are not without some issues as well. Yesterday I loaded and unloaded the boat twice to get some practice. I have found that the truck needs to be on pretty flat ground to make this easiest.

Next I just have to get the boat in the water, my fat arse in the boat and then get some paddling in to get accustomed to getting around. I also want to practice getting in and out of the kayak at rest near a dock, after a turtle and from the beach.

Brownie's Beach is less than a mile from my front door. I have thought about driving the yak down to the public lot there and roll it with a set of wheels down to the beach perhaps. Its probably about 150 yards from the parking area to the beach.

Then there is always the launch area in CB which is just down the street from my house, but that place will have tons of boating traffic in and out of Fishing Creek.

I also have been digging around and going through a bunch of old fishing gear. I have found two rods and some older spinning reels. My tackle is shot and needs replacing. I have lots of experienced fisherman and crabbers all around me in the neighborhood so I need to leverage that knowledge too.

Thanks for the reply - will let you know when I get wet.
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Great location for kayaking. I worked at the Rod n Reel marina there for 4 years mating, as a dockhand, and in the tackle shop.

Many a days I used to take the kayak out before work and catch myself lunch and then have my buddies at the restaurant cook up the fish for me!! Couldn't beat that.

Great spot, perch and bluefish fishing right out in front at the jettys and down towards north beach.

Comment

Welcome! Great choice on the yak. I'm a fan of the new Jackson line.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            ...I worked at the Rod n Reel marina there for 4 years mating....
            Matt- I never knew it was THAT kind of place :

Biggrizzly- Yes, I launch at the little waterfront park. It is fine to leave your vehicle there. I have never had a problem. We (MKF) have an informal meet and greet there next Sat (June 23) for some perch fishing and crabbing followed by a fish-fry/crab feast at my place. You should join us. We will launch between 6 and 6:30 am on Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
              Matt- I never knew it was THAT kind of place :

Biggrizzly- Yes, I launch at the little waterfront park. It is fine to leave your vehicle there. I have never had a problem. We (MKF) have an informal meet and greet there next Sat (June 23) for some perch fishing and crabbing followed by a fish-fry/crab feast at my place. You should join us. We will launch between 6 and 6:30 am on Sat.
              Thanks for the invite! I'm fairly sure I have no plans for next Saturday but will check. That would be a great opportunity to see how experienced kayak fishers are doing things.

I have so many basic questions from simple things like what to wear in the boat, to should I have an anchor or a drag chain? Just really simple things that are second nature to you guys.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD

– Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X